PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem like melanoma?

krisdance83
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I am 23 years old and female. I have somewhat of a raised spot on the front of my thigh that I noticed a few months ago. My skin gets very dry and flakey in the winter, and I get very itchy. This spot started out as a nagging itch. It looked like a small cluster of tiny pink bumps and it was so itchy that I thought it was just my normal dry skin. It never disappeared but the itch comes and goes. It is relatively rounded, a little smaller than a dime. Like I said, it is not one bump but rather a cluster of a few smaller bumps that make a raised spot. It is pink but more of a flesh color in the middle. It gets red and almost looks like it might bleed if I itch it a lot, but otherwise just stays a light pink.
Originally I didn't think it was anything. I didn't even THINK about skin cancer because my skin is always scaley and itchy in the winter.
I was listening to the radio today and heard about melanoma and it clicked that this might be something worse than just dry skin. The spot just won't go away.
I looked at some pictures of melanomas online and it doesn't look like those, but I know it could still be. It isn't a mole and I don't have moles on my body. I have those tiny beauty marks but no new ones. I don't have freckles either.
Does anyone have any insight as to what this might be? Is melanoma very itchy?

kelsidev
02-17-2007, 03:37 PM
i would get it checked out just to be safe i had what i thought was a wart on the back of my calf that was only itchy sometimes it very rarely bled when i finallt got it checked it was a malignant melanome i had 2 inches took off and a skin graft so my advice is get it checked out

maresmith
02-17-2007, 07:05 PM
kind of sounds like ringworm. try some anti-fungal cream and see if that works. but to ease your mind i would still go see your doc.

Lisec
02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
kind of sounds like ringworm. try some anti-fungal cream and see if that works. but to ease your mind i would still go see your doc.

I agree, it does sound like ringworm, or some other sort of skin lesion... but best to get it checked out either way, you can't leave anything to chance these days, as the earlier you catch something, the better :)

Let us know how you go.

Take care
Lise :)