PDA

View Full Version : Soy Milk?

organicgirl
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm new to Soy beverages. I use them in my smoothies and only have one cup a day because I'm still a little cautious of it.

Yesterday I tried Vitaysoy Chocolate Peppermint!! SO GOOD!

I just started researching Soy and it seems as though it may not be as healthy as once believed.

When I research cows milk, there seems to be a lot of negative information on consuming that as well.

What do you guys feel comfortable drinking? What the newest study saying?

DayTrippin'
02-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I am very confused, because I've read conflicting reports. Have you noticed how there seem to be conflicting reports about everything?

I do drink Soy Milk, but I limit myself to doing it once a day. The biggest negatives I have read about are: 1) Too much estrogen 2)It has an ingredient (can't remeber the name) that mat cause cancer. I guess everything causes cancer these days.

Isis498
02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Personally I avoid it like the plague, but I don't mind regular milk. But I also like rice milk, and Almond milk is very good. Hazelnut is good too. Almonds in particular are excellent for you nutrition wise.

So you have several choices if the soy thing worries you.

organicgirl
02-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Hhmm. Maybe I should look into Rice milk. I've been reading this book called "Skinny B*tch" and they talk about totally avoiding dairy if you ever want to be skinny. The way they describe cows milk, it makes you never want to touch the stuff again.

Its so frustrating researching it because I can't seem to find any concrete answers. I have read that Soy contains enough chemicals to totally change a womens menstrual cycle.

I only drink it once a day, but still I wonder if I should consume it at all??
I've been drinking green tea everyday for about two months now, and a few days ago I read that I personally shouldn't be drinking it at all due to a thyroid definency!! aarrrggghhh!

Mike In NY
02-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Consider switching to Almond Milk. You can get it plain, vanilla or chocolate.

Isis498
02-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Organic milk might be an option. For me, when I eat dairy products, it actually keeps my weight DOWN; I like my sweets, and if I eat them in a dairy form, it works great for me. You know the commercial that says dairy helps you lose weight? That's sure true for me.

Anyway, yes the Almond milk is my fav. non-dairy beverage.

The process that soy beans go through, as well as the beans themselves, makes it even worse as a food product. Unfortunately, it's in so many prepackaged food products on the shelves in grocery stores, because it's so cheap, it's very hard to avoid. So I definitely wouldn't purposely buy it and eat or drink it; I get more than enough unknowingly as it is. I also have a thyroid deficiency, and extra soy is a big no-no.

girlcat41
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I eat soy every day --- a soy protein shake in the morning and some soy product at dinner. I am vegetarian and started soy shakes every day in order to get enough protein, then I noticed a side effect; my out-of-control bleeding during my periods subsided and normalized. Also, I used to get nosebleeds every month when I had my period, and those also stopped. So yes, soy can actually alter the menstrual cycle. In my case it was beneficial and all the bad press about soy lately cannot make me give it up. I would not want to go back to how I was without the soy. Twice I gave the soy up to make sure it was actually working and yes it was. I asked my OBGYN if soy was okay to take because of the bad things I started hearing, and he said that yes, it was good for me. The alternative he gave me to control the bleeding was to go on the pill--not an option for me. I also have endometriosis so I don't know how that fits into it all.

Isis498
02-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I eat soy every day --- a soy protein shake in the morning and some soy product at dinner. I am vegetarian and started soy shakes every day in order to get enough protein, then I noticed a side effect; my out-of-control bleeding during my periods subsided and normalized. Also, I used to get nosebleeds every month when I had my period, and those also stopped. So yes, soy can actually alter the menstrual cycle. In my case it was beneficial and all the bad press about soy lately cannot make me give it up. I would not want to go back to how I was without the soy. Twice I gave the soy up to make sure it was actually working and yes it was. I asked my OBGYN if soy was okay to take because of the bad things I started hearing, and he said that yes, it was good for me. The alternative he gave me to control the bleeding was to go on the pill--not an option for me. I also have endometriosis so I don't know how that fits into it all.

It could be the reason soy regulates your cycle, and the nosebleeds somewhat is that Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together. Which is not a great thing for other parts of your body, particularly your heart. And of course if does have the phytoestrogens in it which act like birth control pills.

girlcat41
02-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Well I feel a lot better drinking soy milk than not drinking it and my doctor said no problem.

alwayscarin'
03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Love soy milk as well as rice milk. I have soy milk every morning on cereal or with fruit as a smoothy. Chocolate soy or rice milk is wonderful. I'm with you on dairy. I, too have read about it. Common sense tells us that animals produce milk for their young and that milk has proteins in it that work for the body of that particular baby. Consider this - would you drink the milk from a cat, a dog, or possibly a rat?:eek: Those are mammals too? Back to the soy - I'm a vegan and appreciate all the earth has to offer in the way of nutrious foods. :D

Isis498
03-09-2007, 08:10 AM
A bit of trivia about soy; the Asian's gave soy to women many years ago to lower sex drive. :D

But on the serious side, studies also show that women who have a history of breast cancer should not eat large amounts of soy, because the binding of estrogen receptors actually increases the risk of reoccurrence.

Isis498
03-09-2007, 09:11 AM
There are many many articles on soy out there, way to many to ignore, studies done on huge scale about soy, that are VERY unfavorable.

It is in way too many items on shelves of our grocery stores to count. Why do you think that is? Is is because the food industry believe it's good for us?? It's because it is a cheap filler that's why! Which means lots more profit for them. It's even in toothpaste. What's really scary is that it is in baby formula; it's like feeding a baby birth control pills! Go look at your labels. The cosmetic industry says our skin will be smoother and softer. It's listed as: soy flour, textured vegetable protein, partially hydrogenated soy bean oil, soy protein isolate. You cannot dispute that in any way, shape or form.

Not to mention the chemical and heat extraction process they have to go through which then make them unfit to eat. Soy has commonly and widely known for causing cancer, hypothyroidism, infertility, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, not to mention a lot more. :confused:

I won't even go into the politics of all this here, starting with USDA Soybean Promotion and Research Program, as most of it is too complicated, and it goes way way further than that, and anyone would have to do their own reading to get into the details of it and make their own minds up.

I do know I ate the stuff for over a year quite a lot and ruined my health while eating a Vegetarian diet. It took me almost 2 years to recover and I was tested for everything from MS, to RA. I was Hypothyroid and had no idea what was going on until it was too late.

If you are eating a lot of it, all I can say is be careful, and if you start to see your health begin to suffer in any way, start to pay close attention to your diet and go from there. I realize it may not affect everyone the same way, and there are those that can/could eat it all the time and never have a problem.

Just like there are people who can smoke for 50 years and never get cancer or COPD.

Just be AWARE.

willo1980
03-10-2007, 07:36 AM
My daughter was allergic to soy and dairy (in all forms) since birth. A year 1/2 later she has grown out of the soy allergy but the milk allergy is very strong. She drinks soy milk as a milk substitute and loves it. My pediatrician said there is nothing wrong with that as a substitute until she, hopefully, outgrows her dairy allergy.

Isis498
03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
My daughter was allergic to soy and dairy (in all forms) since birth. A year 1/2 later she has grown out of the soy allergy but the milk allergy is very strong. She drinks soy milk as a milk substitute and loves it. My pediatrician said there is nothing wrong with that as a substitute until she, hopefully, outgrows her dairy allergy.

Have you tried lactose free milk for her? Or fortified Rice or Almond Milk? She should be ok if she does not drink a lot of it as she gets older. I assume she is a toddler still.

Most mainstream Drs. see nothing wrong with Soy, as a rule.

lzing2
03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
You asked what we drink? Water...water and water....since I gave up diary as a part of a healthy lifestyle I have actually never felt or looked better.
The puffines, the bloat is gone. I tried soy's but gained pounds and did not like what I read about the product.

I found the more water I drank the better I felt. 3-4 litres a day ice cold.
I never heard of an individual who was ill from drinking bottled water......so when you compare it on the scale of soy or diary...it seems the healthest choice.

Isis498
03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
You asked what we drink? Water...water and water....since I gave up diary as a part of a healthy lifestyle I have actually never felt or looked better.
The puffines, the bloat is gone. I tried soy's but gained pounds and did not like what I read about the product.

I found the more water I drank the better I felt. 3-4 litres a day ice cold.
I never heard of an individual who was ill from drinking bottled water......so when you compare it on the scale of soy or diary...it seems the healthest choice.

For an adult, water IS the best thing you can drink, you get plenty of nutrients from your food, and you don't need milk of any kind.

Even very small children can do without it, by replacing with with a special formula, my granddaughter drank this, after she was weaned from breast milk. But they do need some extra nutrients, moreso than an adult.

organicgirl
03-13-2007, 10:45 AM
The puffines, the bloat is gone. I tried soy's but gained pounds and did not like what I read about the product..

I haven't given up on cows milk, but I really cut down on it. Bloating is totally gone!! Whooo Hooo!

someone mentioned to try almond milk. I bought it the other day. chocolate flavoured almond milk. then I noticed its 18grams of sugar :dizzy: :dizzy:

at least I only use a small amount of it in my smoothies.

naturodude
04-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I gave up cow's milk awhile back, I now only drink goat's milk (when i do drink dairy, which isn't often). This sounds gross, but it's actually very good for you and digests easier than cow's milk. I made the transition form cow milk cheese to goat milk cheese, then to goat milk yogurt, then to the milk. I really want to give up dairy entirely, go back to water, water, and more water.lol

wholegrain
04-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I alternate between the two, and I also drink a ton of water. I would drink nothing but water, but I have issues with nutrition and a bottle of milk is a good way to easily get some protein. Too much reading can make you crazy- listen to your body.

ricenbeanz
04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
My daughter switched from soy milk to almond milk and she loves it. She switched because she has a problem with breast cysts and soy seems to make them worse.

tattman
05-18-2007, 10:08 PM
We just had a program on this topic and it was given the thumbs up for women but for me its comes close to a no no as it contains a lot of estrogen ( I hope I spelt that right ). And The crux to this was this can cause man boobs as we call them here in Australia. So for you girls okay but you fellas out there thinking about it think again. It was on a tv show called whats good for you. Its a really good show. This is the Tattman. :wave:

miyu
05-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Well I have been drinking soy milk for a long time, I was told in china to do it and it would help me get my period, since I never get it, but it has been years and I still never get it. But my boobs did get bigger, but I also got fatter, so maybe it’s just fat.

Reading all this stuff makes me think I should stop, but I remember when I drank it in china I was so much healthier then when I drink it here. I think they make it a lot different they we do, and I think it goes better with some foods then with others. Your body may need it with some foods, where it may not with others, and depending on your diet, maybe that is what makes it affect you badly. if that makes any sence

cad2
05-30-2007, 06:40 AM
I can't have milk as I am lactose intolerant, the lactose free milk is too sweet for me, so I started to have soy on my high fiber cereal and I can say I have no bloat what so ever, I will not stay on it for the long haul just until my digestive problems get cleared up, but for now it has been a god send because the lactose free milk is to sweet. I have tried almond milk and rice milk I like both but not as much as the soy. I will use it another few weeks and that is is. Last week I was talking to the owner of my local health food store and she was saying that I could have also got this intestinal candidiia form my drinking water as they put so many chemicals in our water that kill off good bacteria. I always try to have bottled water at all times for the us but for cooking and baking I do use the tap water and for the kids they say make sure they have the tap water for the flouride but I have just taken them off of it all together now, I will supplement them. Also do we really ever know where the bottled water came from??? It could be the local tap the next sate over and bottled as drinking water with added minerals!!!!!

Machaon
06-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I consume a LOT of soy products. I use soy milk, soy yogurt, soy instead of meat, etc. No signs of developing manboobs. We'll see in about a decade, or two, if it has been a good diet choice.

poneystenson
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
When I was in Hong Kong, my mom used to home make soy milk for me. It was wonderful. Then I went to America for college and started drinking more cow milk. No negative effect. I'm 23 now - a couple months ago I started to return to soy milk again for health reasons. It wasn't working very well for me. I had mild flatulence with only half cup. I also realized that I have more serious period cramp when I consume soy milk on a daily basis. I started to think that it has something to do with the soy milk product in the market because I have no problems when I drank home-made soy milk.

I've also heard a lot about the estrogen related problems of soy milk. I am very careful with soy milk consumption now; mainly because I'm taking birth control pills.

catholicgirl
07-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Just a quick fyi,

soy milk, almond milk and oat milk all have msg hidden in them (unless you make them yourself). Natural flavors is the biggest way that it is hidden. Carraggeen (I may have spelled this wrong) is also msg in disguise. Citric acid is also another one. These ingredients create msg during processing so they have the same effects of msg. These hidden msg ingredients are also in baby formula.Isn't that nice that msg is being put into "nourishment" for a baby with a developing brain only to kill its brain cells. Oh and why is msg so bad for you, it kills brain cells because it can cross the blood brain barrier. Msg also tricks one into thinking that an inferior food product tastes good and actually may cause cravings.