PDA

View Full Version : My mum and melanoma

Deany
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I hope someone can advise as I have been all over the net and finally found this place.

My mum went to the dermotoligist today following a referal from her GP.

She has a lump on the right side of her face, probably about 1 cm in diameter, no bleeding, which was a freckle and is greyish in colour and has now crusted over, the consultant used a word to describe it , like coned ? Sorry I went in with my mum to listen and ended up getting a little lost.

Anyway she said she didnt like how it was behaving and thought it was either the begniing of something nasty or perhaps it was benign.

I managed to write down Lentigo Simplex, but she also mentioned Lentigo melenoma and something else connected with this, but again I have forgotten.

She said they would take a biopsy in the next two weeks, if it was ok then they would use liquid nitrogen and if there were changeing cells then they would take more away.

Can anyone tell me some more about this condition and what the options are ?

I know we have to wait for the biopsy but I am a little confused about the situation and next time want to be prepared with questions.

many thanks

Dean

cvannic1
02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
If there are changing cells (called atypia or dysplasia) or any malignant cells then complete surgical excision should be carried out. Liquid nitrogen should only be used for completely benign conditions.

Lentigo Simplex is a benign condition like freckles.

Here are my suggestions for future doctor visits:
1. When you visit the doctor the next time come in with a list of questions and don't be afraid to ask them.
2. Write down the answers.
3. Get copies of all biopsy results.

If the results of the biopsy indicate melanoma then you need to find out what the thickness is (Breslow thickness indicates the absolute thickness of the lesion and Clark's level indicates how many layers of skin the tumor is present in), what stage it is at (has it spread to lymph nodes or other regions of the body?), and what the proper treatment is for the given thickness and stage.

Deany
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I know melanoma is obviously serious but how serious is Lentigo melanoma ?

I really can't seem to find out much about it. The consultant seemed to think if its anything serious its early stages, no bleeding etc. Well I gather thats why she said that.

The biopsy in just over a week, so then its a matter of waiting.

Out of interest when they do the biopsy will they have a good at idea then what it is ? I ask because I have had biopsys before for various things and they have always told me its fine.