PDA

View Full Version : Very Worried, any Advice or kind words

indianamomoftwo
02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi, I am Jessica. I am 27 years old. I go to derm. oon Friday morning. For years I have had what I assumed was a birth mark on my side, was always small and round and light brown. But other day i noticed it has gotten 2x the size and is no longer round and now has blackish spots on it. I am so worried.
What are chances this could be skin cancer? Any one had any like this??
thanks
jessica

Seraph
02-21-2007, 05:55 AM
I have grown up in Australia where skin cancer is mostly considered a nuisance, except for melanoma. you are doing the right thing getting it looked at, and early too. Even if it is the bad baby, the cure rate is really good if it is caught in time. For every 1 melanoma, there are probably 100 less evil things it can be. Good luck.

Ladypepper
02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
You are doing the right thing by having it checked right away. That is the key to having good results with melanoma. Of course no one here could tell you if it is or isn't melanoma, that is why it is best to see the derm. Friday isn't too very far off... so try to relax. Let us know how it goes.

Oh yea, if your derm says it is nothing and you still feel worried, then insist that he remove it and biopsy it. It is your right and if all it does is put your mind at ease, it is a good thing.

Take care.

Repman
03-05-2007, 02:23 PM
My advice is NOT to see a Dermatologist at all, but rather get an appointment to see a Plastic Surgeon. If he thinks it might be a skin cancer, he will take a small piece and send it out to be biopsied. When it comes back, he will tell you the results, and THEN you can make an informed decision as to how you want it removed. Please do not use a Dermatologist to do surgery on you as that is NOT their function. If it is a skin cancer, it could be 1 of 3 different trypes, a basil, a squamus, or a melanoma. Please don't worry your self needlessly until you get an answer from a good Plastic Surgeon. Instead of surgery, he may reccommend radiation treatments which is a lot easier than actual surgery and last a lot longer. Good Luck!!

feelingfine
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
go to the derm and have a punch biopsy. The only way to know if it is melanoma is to have it biopsied. If caught early enough the prognosis is good. I am a melanoma survivor. You need to be vigilant. If it doesn't look right, take it off.

Good luck!

Ladypepper
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
My advice is NOT to see a Dermatologist at all, but rather get an appointment to see a Plastic Surgeon. If he thinks it might be a skin cancer, he will take a small piece and send it out to be biopsied. When it comes back, he will tell you the results, and THEN you can make an informed decision as to how you want it removed. Please do not use a Dermatologist to do surgery on you as that is NOT their function. If it is a skin cancer, it could be 1 of 3 different trypes, a basil, a squamus, or a melanoma. Please don't worry your self needlessly until you get an answer from a good Plastic Surgeon. Instead of surgery, he may reccommend radiation treatments which is a lot easier than actual surgery and last a lot longer. Good Luck!!

Okay, I have to totally disagree with this post. Any type of doctor can do a biopsy but a derm specializes in skin! A plastic surgeon's main concern is appearance. A derm will not usually do the surgery if it is something that needs to be excised - they normally send you to a surgeon, preferably a oncologist/surgeon. I am also unclear on what you mean by doing radiation instead of surgery... surgery is mandatory if melanoma is diagnosed.

Jessica, of course it is up to you what you do. But in my uneducated opinion, you should see a derm for the biopsy (punch is the way to go for that). I hope that your appt went well and you got good news.