PDA

View Full Version : Severe Sunburn

Sugarpeeps
04-14-2007, 06:56 AM
I was wondering what constitutes a severe childhood sunburn? It is very hard to get info on that on the Net - I understand it is the severe ones that increase your cancer risk, but what the heck constitutes a severe burn as opposed to a mild or moderate one?

Seraph
04-14-2007, 08:00 AM
A severe sunburn is on where blisters form; the person may be quite ill as well. It is like a first-degree burn. Moderate/severe is very red, tight, painful and hot, but doesn't blister and peels after a few days.

Ladypepper
04-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Well I had a SEVERE sunburn when I was in my teens. I blistered and hurt so bad that I could not stand. Not the typical sunburn skin hurt - I mean I hurt inside my skin. I actually ended up with sun poisoning. I could not even eat.

Sad thing was, I was old enough to know better but didn't bother to worry about sunscreen cause I was with friends and we just wanted to have fun.

Seraph
04-16-2007, 06:52 AM
I have seen that, ladypepper, it is horrible. A friend of mine at school was like that, in such pain. It was in a school excursion and she had just migrated here from England. Insisted on sunbathing. We all but dragged her off the beach, she seemed OK for a couple of hours, then POW, blisters, collapse, emergency room. She was so ill. I hated sunbaking, just used to crouch under the umbrella. The idea was to get just enough tan to protect your skin and leave it at that. My daughter, even though she was born and raised here in sunny OZ, refused to go out in the sun all her life without shielding her face completely. Most of my friends and relatives start having the cancers burned and cut off in their 40s. I have had 3 already. Tanning beds were an option for sun-wary folk for a while, but turned out to be worse. I would advise anyone to forget about deep tans, it is just not worth the hassle later on.