PDA

View Full Version : Tanning Bed...I just can't help myself!

mys_star
04-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey guys!:) I have just started going to the tanning bed (although, I know it's bad:rolleyes: ) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how often you should go for mole check-ups? I tan gradually ( after about 2-3 weeks of exposure), and my skin type is considered medium. Although I like going and I love the "tan" look, I have to admit that I'm a little worried about skin cancer. I always put after sun lotion on and I also use a moisturizer with a self tanning ingredient to help maintain my color longer. I know that has nothing to do with skin cancer though. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks!:)

Ladypepper
04-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Well - my thoughts are that you are gambling with your life. You may or may not get skin cancer. I never thought I would get it - and I did.

There are safe ways to get the tanned look without the risk of skin cancer.

dealer kid
04-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I use to go tanning about 3-4 times a week and would lay out in the beach all the time love to tan well about a year ago had a spot on my face when shaving would go cut it go away and keep coming back. I wen to a doc and sure enough skin cancer had removed now fine. I still love to look tan so now I have about 6 diff self tanning lotion. Good luck to you if you suspect a mole or spot have checked better to be safe.

mys_star
04-16-2007, 05:30 AM
I tried self tanners and I have a self tanning moisturizer that I absolutely LOVE, but none of them ever get me as dark as I would like to be! Dealer kid....was the cancer on your face melanoma? That is the one I am so afraid of getting!:confused:

happy29
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I also went to the tanning bed for years and did so gradually. I used to cover my face with a towel and I also put a towel under my back because I have quite a few moles and freckles there. I never burned and considered myself as a cautous, "smart" tanner. I was diagnosed with melanoma on my back at 27 years of age and I am convinced that the tanning beds had much to do with it. The doctor said that the towel did not protect my skin from the harmful rays of the tanning bed. Maybe you will be fine...but it is quite a gamble in my opinion. Melanoma is scary and deadly if not treated immediately. I go to the derm every 3 months but before my diagnosis I used to go once a year. That wasn't frequent enough to catch the cancer in the initial stage though esp since I was tanning in tanning beds. Don't want to scare you but if I could go back in time I would've avoided tanning beds alltogether.

Sugarpeeps
04-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi there Happy29 - when you say you went for years, how many years and was it constant? What about sunbathing? Did you have risk factors at all? Can I also ask if you have had any recurrences?

camina
04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I've been starting to think about tanning as well. After reading all of your commens, I will be honest, it does scare me. I just want that nice tan, glow on my skin. I have a self tanner lotion but like many others, it doesn't apply well and makes me look orangy! There is no such thing as a "safe-tan" is there? Uhhhhhh..so frustrated, I want to start tanning real badly but don't want to expose myself to skin cancer:( Don't the everyday rays of the sun expose us to skin cancer anyway????

happy29
04-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I went to the tanning bed every winter, twice a week for 3 months for about 4 years. I am light-medium skintone, blue eyes, rarely burned but could develop a nice dark tan. I never went to the tanning bed any other time of year, but I always felt "pastey" in the winter. I have not had a relapse, but am checked every 3 months, since the melanoma, I have had 5 or 6 atypical, precancerous moles removed...I'm 29 years old, and hopefuly will never have to go through the turmoil of melanoma ever again.

ascott1975
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm 33 years old and spent the last 20 years of my life laying in the sun all summer on our boat, and tanning 3-4 times a week in a tanning booth (even in the summer!!!!) 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Melanoma when I had a mole removed from my arm. I then had to have surgery and a sentinal node biopsy done. All came back clean- thank god! I now visit my dermatologist and oncologist every 3 months to get my body checked and to have chest xray and a PET scan done once a year, to make sure that it hasn't spread to any of my organs. My skin has not been in the sun directly or in a tanning booth since. I'm CONVINCED that I got Melanoma from the tanning beds. Please don't be SO VANE as to risk your life to be tan! I'm sorry to be so harsh but I really wish someone would have told me this 10 years ago!!!!!!!

I get the spray tan they offer at salons and it's awesome! Try that. Otherwise post a reply and I will tell you which self tanners are the good ones!

Please value your health over ANYTHING else in your life!!!!!!! AND- the bonus of not going to the tanning booths is that you will have BEAUTIFUL skin when your older. NOT saggy wrinkly skin that no matter how tan you are, still makes you look awful.

Be smart-not shallow and vane! I can only say that, because I used to be that person!

Thanks!