PDA

View Full Version : New Tanning Bed Statistics

Sugarpeeps
04-15-2007, 06:53 AM
I've read studies from reliable sources that say if you used tanning beds, your lifetime risk for skin cancer increased 2-8 fold and that would be like saying that the average risk is 1 in 90 so the risk would increase to 2-8 in 90? Well, now there are new statistics that say your risk increases 75% so that would make it like 65 (or thereabouts) in 90. What does a person believe? How can there be such differing information going on?

Ladypepper
04-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Honestly, I think it depends on WHO is doing the study. Regardless of statistics - tanning beds are harmful. They tan you in a lot less time than the sun, it seems obvious that this is not good.

Most people believe that "it will never happen to me". I believed that, and then I got melanoma and have always wondered if the time I spent in a tanning bed contributed... I think the answer to that is yes.

Sugarpeeps
04-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I also believe that they are harmful, but was too young to know better when I did use them years ago. These statistics just bother me - I know there is increased risk, but is it 75% or 3 fold. How can there be such discrepancies? As well, the source of the 75% statistic also had a study on there that said that sunscreen appears to not protect against melanoma and then, you look on some of the other articles and they say it helps. Confusing!

Ladypepper, can I ask you if you had other risk factors? Also, how are things going for you healthwise?

seajay
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
"Fold" is a word that has been replaced with "Times." So if you use tanning beds, I believe the amount of exposure would determine where someone falls in the demographic. It could be anywhere from 2 times more likely to 8 times more likely to develop skin cancer...It seems to be likened to the longer the length of time and amount of cigarrettes someone smokes increases their chances of getting lung cancer, the amount of time someone subjects their skin to mega-fied ultraviolet rays from a tanning bed can increase their chances of getting skin cancer.

Ladypepper
04-15-2007, 07:13 PM
It is confusing. lol

As far as my risk factors, I have light skin, brown eyes and dark hair. I have had one family member with melanoma but it was an aunt so that isn't usually considered as a risk... I have had sun burns and spent way too much time in tanning beds.

I am doing okay now healthwise. I started on Interferon (type of chemo) and it proved to be something I just could not do. Literally nearly killed me. I figure since as far as we know, I am NED (no evidence of disease) and the chemo was mostly for preventative measures, I would quit and hope for the best. I have been off for a little over 2 weeks and I am just getting back to normal. I think I had a really bad reaction to it.

Sugarpeeps
04-15-2007, 07:23 PM
"Fold" is a word that has been replaced with "Times." So if you use tanning beds, I believe the amount of exposure would determine where someone falls in the demographic. It could be anywhere from 2 times more likely to 8 times more likely to develop skin cancer...It seems to be likened to the longer the length of time and amount of cigarrettes someone smokes increases their chances of getting lung cancer, the amount of time someone subjects their skin to mega-fied ultraviolet rays from a tanning bed can increase their chances of getting skin cancer.

Thanks for replying. What I found confusing is that some studies say average lifetime risk is 1 in 90 and if you use tanning beds, then that is increased 3 fold or 3 times which would work out to 3 in 90. But then there is this other thing saying the risk is 75% which would be more like 65 in 90. That is a huge difference.

Sugarpeeps
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Ladypepper - thanks for replying. I am glad to hear that you are getting back to health! I was wondering, the melanoma that you had, was it there for a long time and then you decided to get it checked or did it just show up?

mys_star
04-16-2007, 05:34 AM
It is confusing. lol

As far as my risk factors, I have light skin, brown eyes and dark hair. I have had one family member with melanoma but it was an aunt so that isn't usually considered as a risk... I have had sun burns and spent way too much time in tanning beds.

I am doing okay now healthwise. I started on Interferon (type of chemo) and it proved to be something I just could not do. Literally nearly killed me. I figure since as far as we know, I am NED (no evidence of disease) and the chemo was mostly for preventative measures, I would quit and hope for the best. I have been off for a little over 2 weeks and I am just getting back to normal. I think I had a really bad reaction to it.

Oh gosh Ladypepper...Melanoma??:eek: Where was your mole at (if you don't mind my asking) and did you discover it yourself (did it bleed like they always say)??

Ladypepper
04-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh gosh Ladypepper...Melanoma??:eek: Where was your mole at (if you don't mind my asking) and did you discover it yourself (did it bleed like they always say)??

LOL No I do not mind you asking. I will tell anyone my story in hopes it helps people realize that melanoma is not always obvious.

My melanoma was not a mole at all. It was on the bottom of my left foot. I had this "thing" there that I just realized one day it was bothering me. It looked like a scar. I had it at least two years before I ever even had it looked at. It would hurt occasionally and when it would hurt, it would break open and bleed. It was very stupid of me to ignore it that long looking back now. But it is what it is.

I went to my primary doctor who said it looked like a callous and wanted to send me on my way. But his arrogance made me more stubborn and I insisted it be looked at by someone else besides him. So he sent me to a podiatrist who looked at it and said he wanted to do a biopsy. It had grown fairly large by this point - large enough to take two punch biopsies out of and have the majority of it left. I even laughed when he said it could be melanoma - thinking "on the BOTTOM of my FOOT?" The joke was on me! lol

I got the results and it was melanoma, fairly deep. Initially 2.7 mm Breslow. Then when I had my first WLE, it was bumped up to 3.5 mm. Had a re-excision because they did not get it all...

I was told to go on Interferon and I didn't want to so I got a second opinion who re-read my slides and found out my breslow was actually 5.0 mm!! That is not good. lol I started interferon but could not continue with it.

So that is my story - asleep yet? lol

I just like people to know that sometimes it is NOT a pigmented mole... if something bothers you - there is no shame in getting it checked.

Sugarpeeps
04-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Ladypepper - thanks for all of your info and being so open. A personal question, how old are you (if sincerely apologize if this is too personal)? Also, when you said you spent too much time in tanning beds, how often were you in there?

Ladypepper
04-16-2007, 09:19 AM
I am 42 right now, diagnosed at 41.

The tanning beds were a weakness to me. I was much to lazy to wait for the sun to tan me so I fell in love with the idea of a quick tan. I also had no fear of melanoma... I probably went for 2 or 3 summers in a row. For the first month I would go nearly every day - then a couple times a week for the rest of the time. I was pretty much addicted to them. lol

I have heard the suggestion that tanning salons should be required to have a warning similar to cigarettes - but I really don't know that that would have made a difference to me. It may to some people though.

Sugarpeeps
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
How long ago was your tanning bed use? I went for 2 winters to salons 17 years ago and then 4 separate times in the past 14 years for various occassions for maybe a month a piece. I live in Canada so we don't have a lot of great weather all year though so there wasn't much beach time spent in the summer. I notice you live in California - is it nice there pretty much year round?

mys_star
04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Ladypepper, thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I hope everything is gone and you are free from this awful thing!

It's amazing that there are warning signs posted in the tanning room about cancer and premature aging! I guess they are required to let people know how dangerous it really is. Makes me wonder if I should just stop going after my unlimited month is up! I want the color so bad though, and even self tanners can only do so much! But skin cancer is a high price to pay for a tan in the summertime!

Ladypepper
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
How long ago was your tanning bed use? I went for 2 winters to salons 17 years ago and then 4 separate times in the past 14 years for various occassions for maybe a month a piece. I live in Canada so we don't have a lot of great weather all year though so there wasn't much beach time spent in the summer. I notice you live in California - is it nice there pretty much year round?

I think I stopped going to tanning salons about 2 or 3 years ago. But I did go a lot in the time I did go. I do live in California and where I live it is hot (100 & over during the summer) I live in the high desert. But it is cold during the winter too. We usually get snow once a year... none this year though.

Ladypepper
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Ladypepper, thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I hope everything is gone and you are free from this awful thing!

It's amazing that there are warning signs posted in the tanning room about cancer and premature aging! I guess they are required to let people know how dangerous it really is. Makes me wonder if I should just stop going after my unlimited month is up! I want the color so bad though, and even self tanners can only do so much! But skin cancer is a high price to pay for a tan in the summertime!

You are very welcome. :cool:

Yes, skin cancer is a high price to pay for a tan... You are looking at scars, pain, harsh treatments and possibly death. I do wish you would reconsider even finishing up your unlimited month. :nono: I used to do that unlimited month too. Melanoma is not fun, it is a killer - and I hope that you will stop.

Okay, that is my scolding for the day. LOL ;) I really don't mean to sound like a meanie - I just wish that melanoma was as 'known' and feared as other cancers. Most people think it is "just skin cancer". But it kills everyday. :(