PDA

View Full Version : mole that grew back

lizzy76
05-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I had a suspicious mole removed about 2 years ago and it's grown back. It still looks "suspicious" and my doctor is going to remove it, along with 4 other moles that look bad. He told me that they all look like they could develop into melanoma so it'll be good to have them gone, and I hope they all come back negative. The first time I had that mole removed it came back negative but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a mole growing back?

I'm 31 and have red hair but do tan easily when I'm in the sun. Unfortunately, when I was in my early 20's I spent some time in the tanning beds, as well as a lot of laying out at the beach and in pools since I live in southern California where the weather is usually sunny and warm! Looking back, I wish I hadn't done so much tanning... of course at that age I didn't think about skin cancer at all but now that I have all of these moles that need to be removed, it's been on my mind. I'm having them removed on Monday so at least it's soon. Also, I'm a person that has a lot of moles and I think that puts at more of a risk for cancer but I'm not sure...

Ladypepper
05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
It happens and it is good that you are having it checked again. Technically if it is growing back - that would be considered 'change' and that is something that should be taken seriously.

I hope it is nothing to be concerned about. Wishing you the best!

lizzy76
05-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm just curious... I've been reading some stories on this site and have heard people talk about having surgery to further remove cancerous moles. Is this similar to what they do when they remove a mole? Is it done under anesthesia or just local? Thanks ~

Lizzy

Ladypepper
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I think you are talking about a WLE, which is an excision of the lesion to clean margins. Basically once you have had a biopsy and it is confirmed to be cancerous - then an excision is needed. Normally this is done as a surgery. But it also depends on the size, location and the person.

For example my 11 year old daughter just had an excision this morning. But in her case it was not melanoma or cancerous, it was abnormal and I opted to have it cleared to clean margins because it is on he upper thigh and I am not going to keep an eye on it as she gets older. You know how kids get as they get older. :) Hers was done in a twilight sleep and she had no problems.

lizzy76
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Well I had my moles removed today. He decided to only remove 3 instead of 5. One of them he was just going to remove because of it's size (it's 11mm) and so we're just going to watch a few moles and see if they change. I have 3 moles to watch and will probably get them removed someday. I'm a little uncomfortable because all 3 moles were removed on my back and one of them is right on my bra line! But other than that things are good. I see my doc in a week to get the stitches out and I guess I'll get the results then. I hate waiting!

Lizzy

lizzy76
05-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Well I had my moles removed on Monday and haven't heard anything from the doctor so I'm hoping that means no news is good news! I do see him Monday to have the stitches out so I'll get the results then but I'm assuming that it's nothing horrible or he would have called by now.

I'm just worried because he made a few comments about how the moles looked "really bad" and could be melanoma. I just hate waiting!

tasha_red
05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I just found out I have stage 2 melanoma and I'm 27 years old. I'm so scared.

tasha_red
05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
How does anyone deal with this?

lizzy76
05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry... I wish I had some words of advice but I haven't been in your situation. There are some good threads on this board about other people's experiences with melanoma and skin cancer.

I just got my results back today from my doctor. Apparently 2 of the 3 moles I had removed were dysplasic.... showed changes leading to melanoma but he removed them completely so they're gone! I have a lot of moles that we're watching now and my doctor said that I'm at high risk to develop melanoma due to the high number of irregular moles I have. So this is something that I'll have to be vigilant about. It's going to be hard to stay out of the sun here in San Diego but the alternative is much worse!

Ladypepper
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I just found out I have stage 2 melanoma and I'm 27 years old. I'm so scared.

Hi there tasha_red ~ I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am also stage II but I was diagnosed a while ago.

First of all, I know it is very intimidating but remember you are stage II. You have not progressed to a higher stage. Now you want to be proactive and make sure to remain a stage II.

What is your Breslow? Your Clarks Level? Where was your lesion? Have you already had your WLE? and your SNB?

Another tip, please do NOT search the internet for information on stage II melanoma right away. I did that and scared myself half to death with all the terrible stuff I found.

It is scary but don't let this consume you. Keep me posted.

Ladypepper
05-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I am glad to hear that your biopsy came back as abnormal and not melanoma. :) That is good news. But like you said - you have to keep up on that. I am not sure what sunblock you use but I use that spray by Banana Boat. It is the Sport sunblock - I think it is 30 or 50 and it works pretty well. It isn't sticky or greasy.

Wishing you the best as always. :)