PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine with Chondroitin, know anything/your experience?

HopeAlight
05-07-2007, 03:31 PM
22yo Male, 140pds 6ft

I have been having joint pain for some time now, my PCP directed me to a physical therapist who gave me a series of exercises but this provided no relief. I've casually mentioned my problem and with a few people and three times have been asked to try Glucosamine with Chondroitin.

I have a few concerns before I begin trying it myself should anyone here have some experience with taking this. Anything I should know about it? Where should I get it and what should I expect to pay? Any long term issues? How much and how often should I use it?

If you could direct me to some resources or simply offer your own experience.

Your efforts are appreciated.

janx
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi there,
I began taking this last year while recovering from back fusion surgery. I had been taking rx arthrotec for appx. 7 years. After a back fusion, you can not take NSAID'S because it interfers with the bone fusion process. I started taking the glu/ch as an alternative. My surgeon gave me the green light to start back with the arthrotec after 9 months, but I chose not to. The only thing I am taking now is this. I buy the economy size bottle at Walmart. I take 1 capsule 3 times a day. I tried a more expensive brand, but this has the same active ingredients and works just as well. My diagnosis's are DDD, scolosis, arthritis of the spine, spinal stenosis, etc. I am very pleased with the results and as long as I am this mobile and feel this good I will continue taking this and no rx meds. It take a few days to get in your system, it is not a quick fix or a pain pill. You really can not even tell you are taking it, then all of a sudden you just realize, hey...I'm not hurting today. Good luck. Bren

reachout
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello Hope

Ironic that you ask this because last Friday I just had a big conversation about this very thing with my family doctor. I started taking it some time back... first sporadically, and now on a regular basis. I take one Triple flex tab mid-morning and one mid evening. I do this because I am on Plavix and use this in lieu of Aspirin.

Now, I did some research and found that the Chrondroitin is a natural blood thinner. Plavix is also, but with another component that concerns platelets somehow. Our whole conversation at the doctor's office concerned, "why can't I take the Triple Flex and let the chrondoitin component in it take the place of the Plavix. In the end, I will have a very complete series of blood panels and then talk to the cardiologist about it. I think the platelet thing is actually resolved with Vitamin K, which I always had to a few days before dental surgery since I was a kid. Now I am getting the Vitamin K in things like kale.

Sorry, went off on a tangent here. Smiles. In my opinion, Glucosomine/Chrondoritin has proven very helpful to me with joint pain. The Triple Flex also contains MSM, and I have NO idea about what that is or does at the moment... looks like some more research is called for. Chuckles.

I get the Triple Flex at chain drugstores and wait for the Buy One get One sales. Then I get two bottles for 39.99. However, you can go online and register the bar code numbers and every month or so get a $7 off coupon for any product made by that producer. I have done this quite a few times, but lately have been lazy about it.

good luck
reachout