PDA

View Full Version : When do men stop growing????

therover5509
05-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Hello,

I am 17 and a half years old and haven't had a big "growth spurt" for about 2 years. I had assumed that after age 15 or 16 I was just about done growing. Right now I am 6' and have been so for 2 years; my father and brother (who stopped growing around age 15) are 6'3" and my mother is 5'10".

However, lately i have been feeling quite tired often, a symptom that I know is common during a growth spurt. Could I still be growing? If so, how much more will I grow, considering that I am almost 18?

What concerns me is that I want to fly in the Air Force and they have limitations on height; basically, the limit is roughly 6'3", although that is even pushing it. I never thought I'd say this but I don't want to grow anymore!

Thanks for the input,
Mike

pandamad
05-13-2007, 05:09 AM
IT is possible you could be growing although its unlikely you'll grow the "3" that would stop you being a pilot especially at your age.

gooby
05-13-2007, 05:33 AM
it would be hard to determine without a physical exam if you are done growing or not. I grew 2 or so inches at or beyond your current age myself so it isn;t impossible to grow the additional 3 inches but that is quite a bit.

A doc can x-ray your legs and determine if you have completed your growth. When young, the long bones of the legs (as well as some other bones in the body) are not actually "bone". They are a combination of bone and cartilage. As you age and grow, the cartilage is replaced by actual bone. When the two ends of the bone grow together, you have reached your max height, or very close to it.

If you are that concerned or curious, speak with your doctor about it and see if he will check your bone growth to try to determine how much more you may grow.