PDA

View Full Version : Mole on head removed. Waiting

dma11663
05-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi

My mom had a mole on her scalp (side of the head) inside her hair that I noticed 2 weeks ago. It seemed like a mole with a scab on it. I asked her what it was and she said she went to have her hair done and thinks the woman who washed her hair hit it and it was bleeding. I freaked and told her she need to go to a dermatologist. I got her an appt. a week later. The dermatologist said it looks like it is a form of skin cancer. She also said we caught it early (how do they know that by the size). She mentioned that it could either be basal or something else (do not think she said squamos...maybe kertosis??). Anyway, she said she highly doubts it is melanoma. We are waiting for the biopsy results. Why does it take so darn long? You could sit on pins and needs for 10 days to 14 days? Is this the norm?

Also.....how good are these dermatoligsts in making the right call just by looking at it?

Thanks.

God bless.

dma11663
05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Any ideas?

seajay
05-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Have you got the results yet? It seems the biopsies take around 3 working days to one week. If your mom caught it early, the removal may be as simple as following the biopsy with a laser treatment. I had a squamous cell carcinoma on my scalp and the biopsy took all of it as it was superficial. The doctor followed up by lasering the surrounding skin to kill any cancerous tissue that may have possibly been left. It all depends on how deep the lesion is, but hopefully, your mom's is superficial as well. Basal cell carcinoma's are "supposed" to be the least threatening, but my first skin cancer was basal and I didn't know what it was, let it go for an extended period of time...lot's of damage. Luckily, I've kept a sharp eye on my skin since and most of the lesions I have developed after that have been small. (Knock on wood...I never want to speak too soon.)

Best wishes to you and your mom and hopefully you'll hear soon if you haven't already.

dma11663
05-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi...

thank you. no word yet they told her to call tomorrow. I took her on a saturday (the 5th). However, I assume the biopsy didn't start until monday the 7th. Yesterday was a week exactly if that were the case. They told my mom to call tomorrow. Let's hope.

Do you think the derm. knows what they are looking at?

Ladypepper
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Do you think the derm. knows what they are looking at?

Derms do a pretty good job of being able to tell if something looks suspicious. Hopefully whichever form it may be, it is caught early. As for the waiting, that is normal. Just try not to stress about it too much. Waiting is the norm when it comes to biopsies.

Wishing your mom the best.

dma11663
05-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Biopsy came back benign. Thank Goodness! I still want to know what it is. Maybe just a mole?

Thank you all for your support!

Ladypepper
05-16-2007, 01:51 PM
That is very good news. I am glad to hear that.

dma11663
05-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you very much.