PDA

View Full Version : Dad just diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma

JGee
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here. My dad just turned 53 in April. About 3 months ago, he developed a small red bump on the side of his cheek that looked like a pimple. It began bothering him and he told his doctor about it, to which she replied that she wanted to do a biopsy. A week ago, he had the biopsy done and got the phone call yesterday saying that he has squamous cell carcinoma. His doctor told him that it had spread, but she didn't know how far or where. I've done some research on SCC and have discovered that some cases may be curable, so I am hoping for the best, but I am still really scared. I was wondering if anybody has had a case of SCC similar to this or knows somebody that did? I would like to know the outlook and the survival rate.

Thank you for your time.

Ladypepper
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I really don't know much about SCC since I have never had to deal with it. I was just wondering though about how exactly his doctor knows it has "spread". Don't panic until you know more about the details. I am not really sure that they can tell if it has spread from just a biopsy. They can tell if it is growing - but not if it is spread. And by "spread" I mean metastisized.

seajay
06-13-2007, 06:09 AM
If the lesion wasn't that large, it may not have spread far. I had a squamous cell carcinoma on my scalp, which was just under 1/4". The doctor biopsied the entire lesion and the biopsy took all of it. Even so, the doctor lasered the area to make sure that there would not be any new growth. It's possible that the biopsied area in your father's case is entirely cancerous meaning the lesion goes beyond that. (Hopefully minimally.)

Best to you and you dad.