PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone! Still A Melanoma Survivor!

Ga Lady
07-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I hadn't been to this board in a long time. Thought I'd drop in. Lady Pepper,it's been well over a year ago when you and I got acquainted on here and elsewhere. So glad to see you're doing well. This week will be two years of my original diagnosis. Odd thing...I had another biopsy today. Not too worried about it. Just being cautious. Those of you dealing with Melanoma right now. Or those who are "new" to the diagnosis. I first want to say that my prayers are for you. I was one scared person. I let my everyday be lead by the fear of the unknown. I worried myself sick. And funny thing was I even worked in a derm's office. And still worried. I finally went to work for a General Surgeon...and He also understand the seriousness of Melanoma but he also told me to not worry he would take off my "what ifs" and send them off for me. Hee Hee! Anyway...I mainly just wanted to drop in and say Hello! And to say Two years have past and I am still going strong! There comes a time in life that we ALL know "SOMETHING" is going to take us out of this world..Right? Why worry about it? We aren't going to get out alive ya know? SO my advice to ya'll is..Live everyday with happiness and peace in your heart. Live as if you are living the last but don't dwell on the unknown. Stress alone will make you sick. Stay alert! Keep your check ups. And know that YOU KNOW your body more than even the derm's do. When in doubt..Cut it Out! Much love and peace going your way! And Happy 4th to you all! God Bless!;)

Ladypepper
07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi GA LADY!!! I was wondering about you and how you were. I don't see you at the 'other' place much but then again I only go there occasionally.

I am glad to hear you are doing well. When I first came here you helped me a lot. I thank you again for that.

Wishing you many, many, many more years of NED! Take care!

Ga Lady
07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I told the Lord one day while going down the road that if He let me get through this I would help and talk and be anti-tanning bed and sun and ...etc. Hee Hee! My best of friends still go to the tanning beds and lay in the sun. I always SQUAWK! too...and actually it hurts me to watch them. Because their my age and look old with all that leather wrinkles. Uggh! Take care yourself. Keep your fingers cross for me about this one I had taken off today. It looked more like a vascular lesion cause it blanches out when pressed or pulled. SO we'll see...Until then take care!:cool:

aimees71
07-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Ga Lady and Ladypepper, you are both so inspirational and comforting! I love reading your posts and have been helped by them. Thank you! I am recovering from a re-excission and SNB that was done last week. My nodes are clean! The surgery went well. The site is very difficult and my mobility is quite impaired. That is my one remaining worry. And, my luck, I'm having an allergic reaction to the stitches! My skin can't handle a bandaid for more than a few days, so these big plastic things are causing quite a skin irritation. Not a good thing for someone who will likely have biopsies in the future! Oh well. I am adjusting. I wanted to check in with everyone to see how you handle day-to-day sun protection. Of course, if I'm going to be outside for an extended time I would wear a hat and long sleeves, etc. But what about just daily life. Can I still wear tank tops and shorts in the summer as long as I wear good sunblock everywhere? What do you do?

Ga Lady
07-03-2007, 07:16 AM
That was very sweet of you. I still wear shorts and short sleeves. I also use Bullfrog sunblock 50. It's waterproof. And works great. I'm at work ...so I'll check in later :bouncing:

Ladypepper
07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Keep your fingers cross for me about this one I had taken off today. It looked more like a vascular lesion cause it blanches out when pressed or pulled. SO we'll see...Until then take care!:cool:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I also have to have a lump removed from my shin - possible sub-q. But one doctor said he doesn't think it is anything but wants to take it out and biopsy it due to my history. The other doctor is more concerned about it. I am waiting for my insurance to get on the ball as usual!! :rolleyes:

Make sure to let us know how your biopsy goes! :)

Aimees71 ~ if you use a good sunblock and apply it regularly, you should be good to go. Also just try to avoid peak sun hours and wear a visor or hat if you can... There is no need to fear the sun - just have a healthy respect of it. I use the Banana Boat Sport spray. It is spf 50 I think and it is not greasy and easy to spray on. I like it a lot. :) I hope your stitches are okay - my daughter has a really hard time with the bandages and when she had her biopsy on her leg, the bandages left a mark that is still there a few months later. Hopefully it will go away. Take care! :)

Ga Lady
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Lady Pepper, I hope and pray that this is nothing other than just a "fluke" of a lump and nothing other. I HATE THE WAIT ON ANYTHING!

The results are in, it was a dermatafibroma and I probably misspelled that. Benign! So, kinda odd. Two years ago today, I get the news I have melanoma and today, I get the news of another biopsy not being anything!

Thank youfor the "good *****"! Love and Peace to all of you!:)

Ladypepper
07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
YAY!!! :bouncing: :bouncing: I am so glad to hear that it is benign! :) That is great news and so cool about it being two year anniversary! Awesome.

camille2000
07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Everyone, Nice to see that is is begnin. I find that after melanoma diagnosis we worry about everything. I went for my normal gynaecological check up and what is supposed to be routine was really scary. I thought, what now? My gynae told me how early melanoma was nothing to be worried about and that many people who have a brush with melanoma do not mention it. Which is why we only ear the sad stories. He told me however that when menopause comes (still a few years though...) he was against HRT as it increases the risk of a melanoma coming back. Well tofu it will be. Anyone who has been there? Next check up at the dermatologist on 16 July mainly to have my 4 children examined. My 16 and 30 years old are full of moles and my 7 years old has a cute one on hip and the same as me on the upper back. I think that one should go as when he gets oldeer he might not be as careful as the girls. I must say that tanning will not be a priority for the girls this summer. have a great week end and a big hug from a freezing cold Souh Africa. Another 2 months to go and spring will be here...Going to the mountain in August just worry about hats for the family as I believe caps do not protect.:) Maybe sunglasses will also be necessary?:cool:

YAY!!! :bouncing: :bouncing: I am so glad to hear that it is benign! :) That is great news and so cool about it being two year anniversary! Awesome.