PDA

View Full Version : Basal Cell on nose

marina01
07-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Hi Have just had surgery to remove large basal cell on side of my nose. Had to have skin graft taken from back of my ear to repair the damage. It looks an absolute mess but it is slowly (very slowly)getting better. I fully appreciate the fact that it could have been alot worse if it had been a really nasty cancer but the thing is i cant believe how devasted i am everytime i look in the mirror. I am not obssessed with my looks but i just feel so incredibly vunerable every time i go out. Its very hard to explain to friends and family as they think well the cancer is gone so kind of get over it! Just wondered if anybody else had felt the same or am i just being rather over sensitive.
When the biopsy was returned as a basal cell i got the impression from my Doctor that it was no big deal so i am really shocked as to how it has left me feeling.:confused:

Ladypepper
07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I am sorry that you are feeling this way and no one can tell you how to feel. Not your doctor or friends and family.

While basal cell is not usually life threatening, it can be life changing when it disfigures you. And only you know how you feel. I can tell you that it is important that you deal with your feelings. You mentioned that it is improving and hopefully it will improve to the point that you will be happy. But in the meantime, you may want to talk to someone about your feelings. Like I said, it doesn't matter what your friends and family think - you know you and what you need.

There are many, many people who have used their scars to inform and educate people on the dangers of sun damage. They feel that it makes it serves some purpose. Now you may not want to have any part of that and that is fine too. It is all a personal choice. But I do hope that things improve for you.

Wishing you the best. :)

seajay
07-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Marina,

First hello. Second, it's not unusual to feel the way you do at this time. My first skin cancer was a basal cell on my nose, I let it go far too long and it went way too deep...through the tip of my nose and left me with a 3rd very large 1/2" by 1/2" nostril. (I know you're in the UK and I'm not quite sure how to convert inches into centimeters.)

Anyway, unlike you, I did not receive a skin graft, the dermatologist used a skin flap to cover the excision area. He started the incision between my eyebrows and did a curved cut down the side of my nose, next to my cheek, all the way to the tip of my nose. I have had many surgeries, including a neck surgery where they put a plate and donor bone in my spine, but none was quite so traumatic to me as this skin cancer procedure. Firstly, because I was awake and as I've mentioned before, just the part where the doctor was doing the skin flap took 90 minutes. Several stitches later, 75 or so, I was left feeling like EGOR from a horror flick. I was 37 at the time. The scarring did get better. I still see it but others don't unless they are looking for it. I also had to have reconstructive surgery because I was unknowingly pregnant at the time of the procedure and the doctor's attribute that to my nose not healing properly. So an ENT reconstructed my nose and took a bit of cartilage from the other side because the healthy side collapsed a few months after the procedure.

There are those who will tell you their MOHS procedure wasn't so bad, and there are those who will tell you it was. I'm the latter of the two. Unless someone has gone through the same thing, they can not know how you feel nor should they try to tell you how to feel. It's your face, not your back or underarm, it's something everyone sees when they first meet you. So it's okay to feel as you do, but one thing to take to heart, your scarring will get less visible. In time, it may be something only you can see. And when that happens, you can do as Ladypepper says and get the word out about unprotected sun exposure.

Best wishes to you and I hope the healing is speedy and any scarring is hardly noticable.

marina01
07-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Thanks for your replies. I think what took me by surprise was the way i actually felt about it. Have taken real comfort from your phrase that basal cell is not life threatening but it is life changing so hopefully i can use this to move forward. All the information i have read about basal cell highlights that it is very curable but nowhere does it mention that it can literally leave its mark both physically and mentally! Now waiting for the healing process to continue so will try to be patient. Best wishes to all.

lizzipa
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi,

I've had two basal cells removed from the middle of my nose in the past 18 months. The second Mohs procedure was 5 stages & I had major healing issues after both surgeries, so I looked like a mess. Now, six months after the last surgery, I have healed well. My scars aren't immediately noticeable, unless you look for them (which I do, of course).... I mostly have residual redness, which I easily hide with makeup (my doctor says this can be treated with a laser) & a very small indentation in my nose, which could be filled in with restylane if I wanted. My nose doesn't appear as smooth as it was, but (again) most people don't notice a difference. Give yourself a year to heal properly - physically & emotionally. Good Luck!

jane97
09-16-2007, 06:46 AM
HI,

I have to see a dermatologist this week about suspected Basal Cell on my nose. I have been misdiagnosed as having just Rosacea for the past few years which I think I have had in combination with this so I am really worried it has become worse in the time I have waited... I am still young and did not expect this at this stage in my life with very young children. It is comforting to know others understand as I have no one to talk to and all my family are overseas.

Thanks

esueg
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I too had a Basil Cell removed from my nose. I now face surgery, see the suegeon on Monday. My dr. has assured me everythings ok and this is normal. Am I glad this is in Gods Hands!! I hope I feel as secure in Him after talking to dr. and having surgery.

I also have what looks like the same thing on my cheek but have been told it is ok. Now, I will get a second opinion. I had this "mole" for as long as I can remember and had 2 drs. look at it and say it was fine.

My question, the Basil cell itched alot with a tickly itch. The itch is still there even after biopsy. I have this same itch in other parts of my face. Does anyone know if this itch is related?

Thank you.
esueg

thurlby0
10-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Did you have a skin graft on your nose?

I had one several weeks ago and it still looks raw.

Thank you.

Suzanne

lonershark
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
HI,

I have to see a dermatologist this week about suspected Basal Cell on my nose. I have been misdiagnosed as having just Rosacea for the past few years which I think I have had in combination with this so I am really worried it has become worse in the time I have waited... I am still young and did not expect this at this stage in my life with very young children. It is comforting to know others understand as I have no one to talk to and all my family are overseas.

Thanks
I was diagnosed with basil cell carcinoma on my nose too. My doctor (dermitoligist) recommended radiation rather than surgery because of the location on my face. I talked to a surgeon also, and he stated either way I go, surgery or radiation, I have about a 98% of complete cure. I chose radiation therapy and now I have only 3 treatments to go (total 22 treatments) every thing is going well, only problem is bleeding and scabs inside nostril. But if that is only problem i have, I would take radiation over surgery anytime, But only because of location on face. If it was anywhere else on body I would take surgery. You might want to seek advise from a radioligist(spelling is wrong, but I can't be perfect) before going thru the possible pain and scarring of surgery.

lonershark
11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
HI,

Thanks

basil cell carcinoma is the easiest cancer to cure, it is not life threatening as long as you get it taken care of. 2 types of treatment, surgery or radiation. seek advise from both a radioligist and a surgeon. I chose radiation because of location on the face. seems to be going fine (only 3 treatments left to go) and very little side effects. sore nose and a little blood when blowing nose. they say this is normal. I would take these side effects rather than reconstuctive surgery after surgery if it gets to the point of being a large cancer. Going into moh's surgery, you don't know how deep they will have to go to get all of the cancer out.

joybelle108
12-03-2007, 02:54 PM
This is all interesting to me and very helpful as well. I will be having surgery in January for a squamous cell carcinoma on my nose. I wasn't sure exactly what they would do except for them saying they would do a wider excision than they accomplished with the biopsy. It is good to hear all the emotional responses to having cancer on the face, as well as the emotional toll it takes to get through the surgery. When people hear "skin cancer", there is a tendency to think of it in terms of not being severe, which it isn't most of the time (at least in comparison to many other cancers). But, it is still cancer and it is in a very visible location. I'll just be glad to get this all behind me. Healing always takes some time, but with the expertise of dermatologists these days, I'm hoping for a very good cosmetic result as well as complete removal of that dreaded cancer. I have purchased some Bare Escentuals make-up and concealer to use in the interim period and after I've had some healing following the procedure. It just helps me feel better about myself, rather than facing the world with my bare skin, scars and all. I also have rosacea, so I need something to help out with a much less than perfect complexion anyway.

Thanks for sharing about this issue. It always helps to know we are not alone!

Blessings,:angel:
Joybelle108