PDA

View Full Version : Question about a mole on my arm...

maytodecember
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi. I have a question about this mole that is on my right arm just above the wrist.

I've had it since I was born I think, it has always been round and silightly elevated. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and brown. It has never caused me any problems.
But a few days ago there was an ingrown hair on it, and it turned red and got infected looking. I pulled the hair out, and it was bleeding and got a scab on it. Then it seemed okay, but the scab got snagged on something and ripped of, and it started bleeding again. The next morning there was a red ring around the mole, and the area around it is very sensitive. Its border seems to be changing. Now it ozzes a clear liqued.

Is it possible to have a normal mole and then have it tur into cancer by just irritationg it? Or could the redness and shape be caused form the scab and nothing more? :confused:

Answers would be apreciated, I think I'm going to have my doctor look at it too. Thanks.

Ga Lady
07-15-2007, 04:54 PM
It sounds like it possibly could be irritated from the "trauma" but take it from me...PLEASE...Don't wait. Go on to the dr. Have him excise it with a punch biopsy. No shaves. Or any of that. Tell him you want it completely removed and that you want it sent off to a dermatapathologist for the results. I do NOT want to scare you because more than likely there is nothing to be scared of. But be safe. Ok?

maytodecember
07-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for you advice. I thought maybe it could be from the ingrown hair, but I'm still going to the dr. asap.

marymk
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I don't know if you've had this checked out yet, but just an FYI. My dermatologist says that if there is a hair growing out of a mole, then it is probably not cancerous, since a malignancy will not usually let a hair grow. You should still have it checked since it seem to be irritated.

Good luck - I think hope everything turns out fine.

marymk

maytodecember
07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that peice of info, now that you mention it, I think I've heard that somewhere before...the only think that worries me is that the mole on my arm used to have a few hairs on it but not it has none. Hopefully its nothing though. I'm probably going to have it removed on wedensday.