PDA

View Full Version : It was basal cell...

Jayme1885
07-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I wrote about a couple months ago about a spot on my chest that concerned me. I finally went in and the dermatologist told me I was too young (I am 22) to have basal cell but he will biopsy it just in case. Five stitches and two weeks late I got the results that it was basal cell carcinoma. Thankfully the margins were clears so they don't have to do anything else. They said they were shocked that it really was basal cell since I am so young and that I have to come in every 6 months to a year to get checked out.
I am happy they got it all but after awhile it did get to me...holy crap I had skin cancer. It freaks me out to say that! I am doing my best not to let my worries run my life now, just make sure I wear sunscreen whenever I go outside and keep an eye out for suspicious spots, but in my head it is freaking me out!

Seraph
07-30-2007, 06:56 AM
It is definitely not all that rare to get skin cancer at your age (not here in Australia at any rate). Some people are more susceptible. It is lucky you had it in a way, because if you are one of the susceptible ones, you will be even more vigilant. Get good photos of your spots and moles and freckles now and compare every year or so, sooner of course if you notice any new ones.

aimees71
07-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I am happy they got it all but after awhile it did get to me...holy crap I had skin cancer. It freaks me out to say that! I am doing my best not to let my worries run my life now, just make sure I wear sunscreen whenever I go outside and keep an eye out for suspicious spots, but in my head it is freaking me out!

Thank goodness you are vigilant and got checked! ;) And, hmmm, I would consider a different dermatologist...last I checked there wasn't an age limit on cancer. In regards to the emotions you are feeling...read my post "Unstitched and Unraveled"... I totally get how you are feeling. When all the physical stuff is over, your mind lets you FEEL and process everything. It's scary and difficult. :( I am still healing, emotionally and physically, and it is hard and sad, but I get better and more stable and more happy each day. All I can say, is let yourself feel everything you are feeling without censure, give yourself time, but don't dwell (incorporate regular life into your life!). The freak outs will settle!