PDA

View Full Version : worrisome mole

bella37
08-02-2007, 07:52 AM
i have a mole on the back of my arm, which looks a bit odd. i am surprised that i even looked at it because of where it is, but i did and it had a scab on top of it, which was dark brown/black.

i have been to my doctor's, who says she needs to take it off, but i am just wondering if moles can get scabbed and not be melanoma?

i picked at it this morning and scratched the scab off (i know... i shouldn't have) and it bled. i've put a bandaid over it and i am hoping it will just heal up.

my dr says that it is irregular, but i don't agree... the top layer is irregular - the scab part, but i still have a light mole underneath.

it is not bigger than a pencil eraser.

Ladypepper
08-02-2007, 11:10 AM
It is possible that it was just injured and that is why it has a scab. But - why take a chance? If the doctor thinks it should come off, you should definitely have it taken and biopsied. Chances are it is nothing or just atypical - but if it IS melanoma, the earlier it is detected - the better.

Also don't get hung up on the fact that it is not bigger than a pencil eraser in size. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Personally I would suggest you let it be removed and make sure it is done by a punch biopsy and let them biopsy it.

bella37
08-02-2007, 11:52 AM
It is possible that it was just injured and that is why it has a scab. But - why take a chance? If the doctor thinks it should come off, you should definitely have it taken and biopsied. Chances are it is nothing or just atypical - but if it IS melanoma, the earlier it is detected - the better.

Also don't get hung up on the fact that it is not bigger than a pencil eraser in size. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Personally I would suggest you let it be removed and make sure it is done by a punch biopsy and let them biopsy it.

thanks for your response - i appreciate that.

it is going to be a punch biopsy, so at least i know she is thorough.

i am thinking i injured it, because it is looking a bit better now, but i will still go for the biopsy.

Ladypepper
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
That is good - I think that is the best decision. :)

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Wishing you all the best!

bella37
08-14-2007, 06:56 AM
i had the biopsy yesterday. it was ok - the only 'pain' was the injection for numbing, but that was nothing - just a sting.

i showed my doctor my mole and she had to admit it did look a bit better, but she still wanted to get rid of it.

now i am getting sick with nerves. i hate this feeling - i've been here before with breast lumps, and each time you have a bit 'what if' hanging over your head till you get the results.

it's just nerve wracking because everything you read about melanoma says it's deadly and aggresive, etc.

not much i can do now but wait.

amiee79
10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Bella,

I am in the same position you are. I had a mole (grew to bigger than the size of a pencil eraser) and it had a halo around it of a lighter brown color. It was on the back of my knee. The dermatologist removed it and now I have stitches behind my knee (horrible spot to have stitches). I also have an enlarged lymh node on my neck below my ear lobe. The dermatologist is sending me for a CT scan this week. I get the test results back from the mole on the 23rd. I am the same as you things going through my mind like crazy. My mom passed away from cervical cancer at age 44, so hard to not think the worst eh?