View Full Version : Red Spot on Lower Leg, Advice Please

08-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi All

I am new here and would like some adcvice on a spot on my leg that is worrying me.

It is on the inside lower leg, it feels like a small lump under the skin, to look at it is a small red circle of broken skin with irritated skin around it. Like the light around a bulb that glows when you look at it.

It appeared in Feb 07 after I had been wearing long boots for a long period of time with my jeans folded up under the boots. When I took my boot of my leg was itching and it was a huge red irritated spot. That went away after a few days and now I am left with this persisitant red, scaly spot.

I showed it to the nurse practioner at my doctors and she said it was a cyst and about a month ago I showed it to my doctor and she said it looked like an inflammed area of skin, the lump was evident on that day as sometimes the lump disapears.

Neather my doc or nurse had a proper look at it and I was wondering if any of you could advice me. In my younger days I lived in Europe and spent a lot of time in the sun, however I am very dark skined and never burn, although I did burn my face once and now I get drk pigmentation on my checks when in the sun. I now always use at least a factor 15.

Any advice would be much appriciated as I am going on holiday soon to france and naturally I am worried.



08-03-2007, 02:08 AM

I am verry worried, please advice my doctors are not really bothering with this

08-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Hello Jenny,

I had the exact same thing happen with long boots. It took forever for the rash to go away. It appeared where my stockings stopped as there was nothing between my skin and the surface of the boot. I'm proned to getting eczema, so my doctor prescribed medication for that. It took a long time to heal as anything rubbing against that area only irritated it more...and yes, it finally cleared up in the summer months because the area was exposed more and not rubbing against fabric or anything. It might be best to retire those boots for the next year or so as wearing them again will only get things back to where they were. It would have been nice if your doctor prescribed some cream to help the healing speed up a bit. Can you put a call in and explain that you are still experiencing skin irritation and ask for a prescription or reccomendation? ...Just a thought.

Hope all is well with you holiday.

08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Jenny,

As Seejay said, it's most likey irritation from the boots, but I understand the worry, and I would also want more attention than your Dr's are giving. If it's possible, maybe you coud get in to see a dermatologist. I'm lucky as my insurance doesn't need a referral to a specilaist - if you do, then I would call your GP and insist on a referral.

I see my dermatologist for many things that turn out to be irritation/rash/bites and always end up leaving satisfied with the exam and sometimes get a presription to help clear it up.

Hope this helps.