PDA

View Full Version : A bald spot?

marbs1
10-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I've had 3 basal cells removed (2 face, 1 back) over the years but now there are 2 more - forearm and top of the head.
The doctor says that there are 2 methods to remove them. Scrape and burn/freeze? or surgery. Either way, he feels that the hair will not grow back in the area so I'm left with a long scar from surgery or a round bald spot? I'm really upset about either option but was wondering if anyone knows anything about these methods especially regarding the balding. I like my hair and want to keep it. Does anyone know how large an area would have to be removed if the spot was size of a pea? Is the dermatologist qualified to do this or should I be seeing a plastic surgeon? Please help!

By the way, what is a Mohs procedure? I saw it mentioned in a previous message?

kath320
10-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi, I'm having Moh's for a bcc on my scalp, this will be the 5th Moh's surgery for me, the second on my scalp (different area). ****** "Moh's surgery" for a good explanation of what it entails.

This one is right on top and I have the same concerns about winding up with a bald spot. My dermotologist sends me to a Moh's surgeon for the trickier bcc's. He told me to talk to the surgeon about stitching it closed rather than leaving it open to heal which should help some with the bald spot but I don't really know for sure.

I just got my biopsy results late Friday afternoon and haven't called the surgeon yet so I don't know when I'm having the Moh's. I can't advise you what to do but I wanted to share my experience with you, good luck with what you decide and keep us posted.

I've had 3 basal cells removed (2 face, 1 back) over the years but now there are 2 more - forearm and top of the head.
The doctor says that there are 2 methods to remove them. Scrape and burn/freeze? or surgery. Either way, he feels that the hair will not grow back in the area so I'm left with a long scar from surgery or a round bald spot? I'm really upset about either option but was wondering if anyone knows anything about these methods especially regarding the balding. I like my hair and want to keep it. Does anyone know how large an area would have to be removed if the spot was size of a pea? Is the dermatologist qualified to do this or should I be seeing a plastic surgeon? Please help!

By the way, what is a Mohs procedure? I saw it mentioned in a previous message?