PDA

View Full Version : Dysplatic Nevus, need more excising?? Or leave it alone

westllen
10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
:confused: I had a malignant melanoma 2 yrs ago where they took off part of the ear and did reconstructioon surgery.

Then a year ago I had a dysplastic nevus on my hip where they removed a larger margin just to be safe.

NOW they find another Lentingious Dysplastic Nevus on my lower back yet talk of excising anymore for a clear margin.

Why??? Dermatologist has yet to call me back with an answer. I have made an appt w/ my original dermatologist, she stopped taking my insurance so I had to find someone else, which I am not really happy with.

Ladypepper, you may have the answer to this. Does it seem strange they aren't removing anymore of the area?

Anyone have a similiar situation?

gingertea
10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I had an appointment with my dermatologist today, to get results from two biopsies, and stitches removed from one. She did a punch biopsy on a spot on my chest which turned out to be atypical nevus. She didn't feel the need to remove more tissue, but wants to see it in three months. I also had a basal cell carcinoma on my arm that came back without clear margins, suggesting more cutting. She said at the time they shaved off the carcinoma she scraped deeper into the tissue and feel she removed all the cells, so she wasn't going to cut any deeper right now. She wants to see that area in 3 months and again in 6 months. I was told by some one else if all basal cell carcinoma is not removed, the area will not heal and that will tell them they need to remove more tissue. I guess it is all a 'wait and see' situation.

westllen
10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
I called my prior dermatologist who no longer takes my insurance, she is seeing me on Monday. I'd rather pay out of pocket for another opinion.

Can you see another dr for another opionion? I also have heard that if the margins don't come back clear it needs to be redone.

Let me know how you make out.

I had an appointment with my dermatologist today, to get results from two biopsies, and stitches removed from one. She did a punch biopsy on a spot on my chest which turned out to be atypical nevus. She didn't feel the need to remove more tissue, but wants to see it in three months. I also had a basal cell carcinoma on my arm that came back without clear margins, suggesting more cutting. She said at the time they shaved off the carcinoma she scraped deeper into the tissue and feel she removed all the cells, so she wasn't going to cut any deeper right now. She wants to see that area in 3 months and again in 6 months. I was told by some one else if all basal cell carcinoma is not removed, the area will not heal and that will tell them they need to remove more tissue. I guess it is all a 'wait and see' situation.

gingertea
10-19-2007, 06:21 PM
The dermatologist suspected it was basal cell carcinoma as soon as she looked at it. She shaved it off and sent it to pathology. After she shaved the spot, she removed quite a bit of tissue around it and underneath it, so she feels confident she removed everything in the margins. She is going to check it at 3 months and 6 months. Hers was actually a second opinion! A year ago my regular doctor told me it was nothing, don't worry about it. It didn't look like the pictures of skin cancer I have seen. It was the same color as my skin and fairly flat to the surface.
It was kind of shaped like a flower. Good luck with your former dermatologist.
It always helps when you trust the person you are dealing with!

westllen
10-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm glad you went for a 2nd opinion! I'll let you know how I make out on Monday.

Just make sure you keep up with your checkups.

westllen
10-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Went to my original Derm Dr. She has requested the slides and is having another lab look at it as she doesn't understand why they didn't suggest they remove more with the description they gave.

She also did a full body check and found anothe suspicious mole, again, she couldn't understand why this one hadn't been removed before.

So even though I am paying out of pocket, I am more comfortable knowing she is taking over my body ;)

gingertea
10-30-2007, 07:16 PM
It sounds like a good thing you went back to your former dermatologist! It's good to trust your instincts. If I'd have stuck with GP's 'oh, it's nothing' diagnosis, I'd be in trouble. As it is, the dermo took a big chunk out of my arm, plus scraped extra tissue and I still go back in 3 months to make sure it's all gone. I feel lucky it's just basal cell....who knows what would have been affected if it had been melanoma. Did your dermo check the other suspicious mole yet? Mine came back as atypical nevi, but she still wants to keep an eye on it. Good luck, thanks for following up your post.

westllen
10-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Gingertea, the biopsy she just did came back Dysplastic Nevus, this one said "congential" where as the other had "Lentingous" in it. O have no had 4 dysplastic with 2 requiring more excised, besides the Malignant Melanoma one.

Since I had a Malignant Melanoma almost 2yrs ago, I've been getting regular check ups, my original Derm couldn't understand how this other Dr missed the one on the back of the leg.

We are still waiting for the 2nd opinion on the slides.

She took a good enough chunk out of the back of the leg, will keep an eye on it and I go back in 3 months. Should anything change on the slides she said she'll call, I trust her to do that.