PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

joybelle108
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I was recently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. I had a small scaly patch of skin on my nose for about a year. About a month ago, I developed a small red spot on the end of my nose. I was also having a lot of red flushing on my face, neck and chest area, especially when I get hot. I saw the dermatologist and he diagnosed me as having rosacea on the face, neck and chest and also on my eyelids. He biopsied the spot on my nose which came back as scc. They have me scheduled for a wider excision of the skin cancer on January 4th. Not sure what to expect, but I'll be glad to get that thing out of my skin! ;)

My family seems to be prone to skin cancer. We are all fair complexioned with light colored eyes. Two of my brothers have also had skin cancers. I don't think either of my parents have had the problem, but my siblings do.:(

Anyway, just wanted to post my first message. I'm waiting "patiently" for the removal of the cancer in January. My doc was booked solid through the end of this year and because he didn't think it was anything that needed immediate attention, I am going to believe for the best. :angel:

Joybelle108

cazajacks
12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi Joybelle, do let me know how you get on wont you. I wish you good luck.
I am interested as i have almost the same thing as you. I have a small patch on my nose where the skin keeps growing like a shell instead of skin. It feels so weird that i cannot help but peel it off. But now it just grows back again.
I also have four large brown spots on my face but my old Dr told me they were just sun spots and not to worry about them!!! that was about 6 yrs ago, but i have noticed that they are getting more obvious for some reason!!
Let me know how you get on.
caza

joybelle108
12-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Joybelle, do let me know how you get on wont you. I wish you good luck.
I am interested as i have almost the same thing as you. I have a small patch on my nose where the skin keeps growing like a shell instead of skin. It feels so weird that i cannot help but peel it off. But now it just grows back again.
I also have four large brown spots on my face but my old Dr told me they were just sun spots and not to worry about them!!! that was about 6 yrs ago, but i have noticed that they are getting more obvious for some reason!!
Let me know how you get on.
caza

Hi Caza,
Yes, I will update you soon after the January 4th surgery and let you know how things are going. Best of luck to you.

Joybelle108

cazajacks
12-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Joybelle, i have just come back from the hospital after visiting my mother in law who went in for kidney failure. Whilst she is in there they have done a biopsy on a couple of moles she had, and they have just told me she has Maglinant Melanoma. From what i can work out this is the worst type of Melanoma someone can have.
I had mentioned to my mum in law before about these moles, but she said that her Dr had seen them and said they were ok!!!! Now they are waiting to do a ct scan of her body, i guess to see if the cancer has spread. It makes me realsie just how serious it is to get moles checked out if they change in shape colour or size.
Good luck for January 4th.

cazajacks
01-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi, i hope all went well today, when you feel up to it let me know how you are.
cazajacks

joybelle108
01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi, i hope all went well today, when you feel up to it let me know how you are.
cazajacks

Hello again. I went back to the doc this morning to get my stitches out. Everything seems to be healing up nicely except for one area where I think he went in a little deeper. It has a scab on it and was not well healed when they took out the stitches. I had 13 stitches across my nose which looked something like a railroad track. Ha! I will get the pathology report back later in the week and won't know until then whether they successfully removed all the cancer cells. Hopefully they did and I won't need anymore surgery.

From the sounds of things, you need to be examined by a good dermatologist who specializes in skin diseases/surgery. Especially since there is a family member with malignant melanoma. Melanoma is among the worst of the skin cancers so early diagnosis and treatment is very important.

All of my surgery has been done in my doc's office under local anesthesia and was not bad at all. Right now my nose tends to throb when I bend over and it does much the same if I attempt cooking, removing clothes from a hot dryer, etc. I'm sure in a few more days it will feel a lot better. I'm resting a good part of the day and trying to take it a bit easier. Also praying that I will not need any further surgery. The sooner you get the problem dealt with, the better. So by all means, get checked by a really good derm and let them know about your family history.

Let me know how things go for you.

Blessings,
Joybelle

cazajacks
01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi Joybelle, well at least that part is over with. What happens now, from what i understand you have already been diagnosed with the skin cancer, is that right!
How did you know something wasnt right in the first place.
The thing on my nose is really annoying me. The trouble is, is that this small piece of shell like skin on my nose really itches/irritates me, so i keep rubbing my nose and this shell thing drops off. Then after a few weeks ( 2 at the most) it slowly starts growing back again. I found that i am rubbing my nose in my sleep, and find the shell gone by time i wake up in the morning. I know that by the time i get an appointment at the Dr's it would have fallen off, and then theres nothing to show!!!!! So what do i do.
My mum in law who i told you has just been diagnosed with skin cancer, ( it was Malignant Melanoma) has now died... one week after diagnosis.

Please be reassured that it had been there a long long time. She had big ones on her back, some on her neck, and as i stroked her head as she was dying, i notice another one on her forehead. I cannot believe how quickly she died. They were big and raised and bumpy and had turned black. They were so obvious.

What really really annoys and upsets me is that mum in law had been ill all this year, no one looked into cancer, she was admitted to hospital 8 times this year alone and had to stay in there for a month each time, and every single time the consultants all examined her back, and the skin cancer was very obvious, because even i brought it to the attention of the nurst one day. But no one did anything..!!!!! She lost 6 stone in the last 6 months alone, again no one suspected cancer, they said it was because she was on water tablets.!!!!!
They now feel that it had gone to her kidneys and liver!
I will never know.

Remember, mum in laws had been there for many years, and nothing had been done to help her. You have obviously got to yours very quickly.

Please keep me updated on you progress. If you ever need to talk just send me a message.
Thinking of you.

Cazajacks

joybelle108
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Joybelle, well at least that part is over with. What happens now, from what i understand you have already been diagnosed with the skin cancer, is that right!
How did you know something wasnt right in the first place.
The thing on my nose is really annoying me. The trouble is, is that this small piece of shell like skin on my nose really itches/irritates me, so i keep rubbing my nose and this shell thing drops off. Then after a few weeks ( 2 at the most) it slowly starts growing back again. I found that i am rubbing my nose in my sleep, and find the shell gone by time i wake up in the morning. I know that by the time i get an appointment at the Dr's it would have fallen off, and then theres nothing to show!!!!! So what do i do.
My mum in law who i told you has just been diagnosed with skin cancer, ( it was Malignant Melanoma) has now died... one week after diagnosis.

Please be reassured that it had been there a long long time. She had big ones on her back, some on her neck, and as i stroked her head as she was dying, i notice another one on her forehead. I cannot believe how quickly she died. They were big and raised and bumpy and had turned black. They were so obvious.

What really really annoys and upsets me is that mum in law had been ill all this year, no one looked into cancer, she was admitted to hospital 8 times this year alone and had to stay in there for a month each time, and every single time the consultants all examined her back, and the skin cancer was very obvious, because even i brought it to the attention of the nurst one day. But no one did anything..!!!!! She lost 6 stone in the last 6 months alone, again no one suspected cancer, they said it was because she was on water tablets.!!!!!
They now feel that it had gone to her kidneys and liver!
I will never know.

Remember, mum in laws had been there for many years, and nothing had been done to help her. You have obviously got to yours very quickly.

Please keep me updated on you progress. If you ever need to talk just send me a message.
Thinking of you.

Cazajacks

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum in law. Since the cancers had been present for a long time, she likely did have spread into vital organs.

Mine was not melanoma. It was squamous cell and the shell like covering you describe sounds like squamous cell as well. I hope you will get some medical attention quickly.

I saw the doc because of several skin problems. One was the scaly patch on my nose but I was also having problems with what I figured was rosacea. I do have rosacea and also actinic keratoses which seem to be precancerous spots on my face. The doc has prescribed several meds to use for those and I will need to be followed closely for a while. AK can turn into squamous cell carcinoma if left untreated. Anyway, today I am feeling fine and have been up and about all day. I should get my pathology report back by Friday. That will tell whether or not they got all of the squamous cell cancer cells. If not, they will need to do more surgery in a couple of months. The doc said he felt good about it but you never know until the actual labs come back.

Thanks for your words of encouragement and again, please, go see a doctor about your "shells". ;)

Blessings, :angel:
Joybelle

KerryT
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Joybelle, were you ever given any other treatment ? I wasn't sure if the removal was ever followed up with medication. ?

cazajacks
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi, well i have been to see my Dr, i showed him the bit of skin that is growing like a shell, and also a circle of freckles on my face( some of the freckles has turned a bit darker than the rest). And the Dr said that it is nothing to worry about, it is just sun damage and aging!
I do hope he's right.
Hope your keeping well
cazajacks