PDA

View Full Version : Sore on face, not healed in 4 weeks

dolly101
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm usually not the type to think anything of this...but I did have 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my face 15 years ago. It was a chemical burn - most my face got 2nd degree burns, a limited part, 3rd degree. I was not scarred (thank god). But the doctors told me I had a 50% more chance of developing skin cancer in my lifetime. They told me I have, essentially, no protective layer.

Since I've always, under their advice, worn sunblock when outside.

I've never, ever had acne. I'm 31, and maybe have had 10 zits since age 15.

But about a month ago, a got two on my chin. A weird place - out of those 10 zits, I'd never gotten any there. There's no puss, there's no breakage...there is a large lump - maybe an inch? (hard to measure) underneath the skin.

Whenever before, I've gotten a zit, I'd put some hydrogen peroxide on, and within 3 days, it'd be gone.

I've done that every night for this month. It does nothing.

I don't want to go to the doctor with a stupid zit. But. This is freaking me out a little. This couldn't be anything to get a doctor involved with, could it? This should go away, right?

Both my parents have passed away from cancer in the last 5 years, so I may just be a little overwrought... I'm hoping. Although my Dad did pass from skin cancer.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for reading. And helping!

joybelle108
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm usually not the type to think anything of this...but I did have 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my face 15 years ago. It was a chemical burn - most my face got 2nd degree burns, a limited part, 3rd degree. I was not scarred (thank god). But the doctors told me I had a 50% more chance of developing skin cancer in my lifetime. They told me I have, essentially, no protective layer.

Since I've always, under their advice, worn sunblock when outside.

I've never, ever had acne. I'm 31, and maybe have had 10 zits since age 15.

But about a month ago, a got two on my chin. A weird place - out of those 10 zits, I'd never gotten any there. There's no puss, there's no breakage...there is a large lump - maybe an inch? (hard to measure) underneath the skin.

Whenever before, I've gotten a zit, I'd put some hydrogen peroxide on, and within 3 days, it'd be gone.

I've done that every night for this month. It does nothing.

I don't want to go to the doctor with a stupid zit. But. This is freaking me out a little. This couldn't be anything to get a doctor involved with, could it? This should go away, right?

Both my parents have passed away from cancer in the last 5 years, so I may just be a little overwrought... I'm hoping. Although my Dad did pass from skin cancer.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for reading. And helping!

I'm no expert on these things by any means. But, I think any time we are 'bothered" or "concerned" about health issues, it is far better to go in and let a doctor examine things. The peace of mind is certainly worth the cost of an office visit. If it turns out to be something that does need medical care, then you are ahead of the game. You just can't lose by going in for an examination.

Let us know how things go after you see your doctor.

Sorry to hear about the burns and also the loss of your parents. Just take good care of YOU!

Blessings,
Joybelle