PDA

View Full Version : clogged ears

Bonney669
12-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Since July this year both of my ears have been clogging up and popping. I have seen 5 different ENT doctors and just had allergy testing done. I have mild allergy to mold and am getting allergy shots. I hope the doctor is right about this being the problem. I am taking Clarinex and Nasonex without much relief. Some days are better than others but they feel so plugged up all the time it's driving me nuts.
The weather and tempurature definetly affect them too. Driving up hills they clog up moreso. I am at my whits end and don't know what else to try for relief. My fiance thinks I am not getting the proper treatment but I don't know what else to try.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't deal with this problem anymore. I am even thinking of asking the doctor about tubes for my ears if it will help.
I never new I had allergies either, since I am not sneezing a lot or runny nose symptoms. This is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had though I can tell you that. Sometimes I begin to think it will never go away. :(

Bonney669
12-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your reply Carol. Were you able to pop your ears by blowing your nose? I can do that sometimes. My doc had said maybe TMJ but they don't seem to know. :(
I wish they would figure it out soon.

starlight_tears
01-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Do you get a feeling like your swallowing over a lump in your throat when your ears block and do you feel locked in yourself?

Bonney669
01-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Yes I do feel like a lump in throat, and sometimes i also have that locked in self feeling. I think that is just anxiety from all this frustration from clogged ears driving me nuts! Do you suffer from this as well?

baldy1961
03-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I have all of the symptoms listed above, but I have one more. It seems that I all of the mucas settles in my chest causing me to have ashma like symptoms or Bronchitis. When I swallow my ears pop, I feel like my head is full of fluid. It is driving me nutts.

Tom

NicoleD
05-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow, glad I found this thread. My ears clogged a week ago... i went to the ENT b/c I was experiencing randomg spasms in my left ear. They told me it was the tempani muscle or something. Then, last week my ears clogged...it's like i've driven in the moutains and they haven't popped like they should. I try to pop my ears but my left ear only seems to be able to pop.

Anyone have any suggestions on relieving the pressure? I'm not sure if I have allergies, as i've never been tested but I do get congested often, mainly at night.

Any insight would be great.

loveherbs
05-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Do you have tunnitus with this? I do and No one can fighure this out. I get a thumping noise with the block and pressure feeling by both ears.

NicoleD
05-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Yeah, right now I have tinnitus in my right ear. I think it's caused by all the pressure build up.

luvtocamp
05-28-2005, 05:51 AM
I would at least go to the dentist and have your bite checked.

laurie16637
08-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Since July this year both of my ears have been clogging up and popping. I have seen 5 different ENT doctors and just had allergy testing done. I have mild allergy to mold and am getting allergy shots. I hope the doctor is right about this being the problem. I am taking Clarinex and Nasonex without much relief. Some days are better than others but they feel so plugged up all the time it's driving me nuts.
The weather and tempurature definetly affect them too. Driving up hills they clog up moreso. I am at my whits end and don't know what else to try for relief. My fiance thinks I am not getting the proper treatment but I don't know what else to try.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't deal with this problem anymore. I am even thinking of asking the doctor about tubes for my ears if it will help.
I never new I had allergies either, since I am not sneezing a lot or runny nose symptoms. This is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had though I can tell you that. Sometimes I begin to think it will never go away. :(

I AM SO FRUSTRATED ALSO I HAVE ALLERGIES TO EVERYTHING INSIDE AND OUT PLUS CATS AND FEATHERS I DO SHOTS AND STILL HAVE CLOGGED EARS AND NOONE AROUND U UNDERSTANDS I HAVE NO TROULBE GETTING EARS TO POP ITS GETTING THEM TO STAY OPEN THATS THE PROBLEM SOMETHIMES IT GETS SO BAD THAT I GET RACEING HEART BEAT AND SWEAT AND FEEL SICK TO MY STOMACHE AND SOMETIME VOMIT AND PACE THE FLOOR FOR HOURS CUZ I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO HAVE U EVER EXPERENICED ANY OF THESE SYSTOMS

onlyjane
08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi

Do you suffer with sinusitis?

This can leave catarrh in the inner ear which can remain there. Hearing is then muffled to lesser/greater degree, can cause ocassional dizzy spells when catarrh shifts a little bit. Nasal steroid drops may help but no guarantees.

Hope this helps

weeble165
06-02-2007, 01:54 PM
i went to a loud gig last tuesday and the next morning i had a lot of ringing in my ears, this went the day after but i was left with a feeling in my ear, mainly my right ear which was next to the speaker, i decided 2 go to the doctors to see what was wrong.
he said i had a build up of catarrh in the right ear and a small amount in the left.
he gave me some decongestant tablets and said it would clear quicker...
its driving me mad and its started to ache a little, does this mean that the tablets are working? or should i go back and see him?
anyone else had this problem? and is it caused by smoking?
help
sarah x

sagrie22
12-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Do you have tunnitus with this? I do and No one can fighure this out. I get a thumping noise with the block and pressure feeling by both ears.

Is this curable? If I move my lower jaw to the left or right my ear is fine no clogging and I can hear just fine but if i bring it back again it cloggs. I did go to the doctor and he gave me nasal spree. I have been taking it for over a week now and feel no diffrence.

How does one get this treated.

Thanks

SanDee53
12-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I doubt anyone knows if it is curable since no one knows for sure what it is. I have been dealing with ear problems now for 6 months and not one dr can tell me for sure what it is. It may be this or it may be that. This may help or may not. try this and try that. I am so frustrated. I have been to my family Dr 3 times, to ENT, audiologist, Oral surgeon, chiropractor and massage therapist. I was first treated for allergies for 2 months and not one drug or spray made any change. It obviously is not alergies in my case.

I did not go to any concert where there was loud music or loud noice. I was simply washing dishes one day when my ears began to plug up. I assumed they just needed a good cleaning. I tried myself and then went to my dr and they cleaned them out, said I had some pressure in them and put me on meds. No relief so off to the ENT for his evaluation. He ordered a CAT scan which was normal. Sent me to the audiologist who did hearing tests and then more indepth tests and said though I have a little hearing loss in my left ear everything is fine. Nothing wrong with my Eustation tube. My hearing loss i probably because of my Left ear feeling like it is clogged. He then referred me to an Oral Surgeon for possible TMJ. I was fitted with a night guard but find that I wake up with my ears more plugged than befor i went to bed. I was told to give it 3 months. I went back to my family Dr who ordered an MRI and it too was normal. The OS said he felt I have minimum TMJ and that it was muscular. He sent me to a Physical Therapist who after a week of ultrsound treatments and massage treatments felt they could not help me.

I have since had more massages and I have done ear candeling at recommendation of my Chiropractor but no results. These are my symptoms, not sure if they compare to any of yours.

left ear feels like I have water in it and cannot get it out (but I don't)
If I hold my nose and blow both ears feel like they pop but left is still plugged.
I hear my talking on the inside of my head and not the outside.
Sometimes when I walk I feel every step I take in my head...step...pound...step...pound!
When I talk I feel a vibration in my head. If I whisper no vibration but the louder I talk the louder the vibration. Singing or humming is out of the question!
If I apply heat to my left ear it feels like the ear opens up and unplugs but the minute I take the heat away it plugs back up.
I did discover something last week. My problem seems to be with my left ear. If I plug my left ear and talk my words are on the outside of my head but if I plug my right ear everything is only on the inside of my ear the same as if you plug both ears and talk. This without a doubt convinces me it is the left ear. I also discovered by plugging my r ear that I hear the TV at a lower level than if I plug my L ear.

Another probelm I have and it may not have anything to do with my ear problem or it may and that is I have a terrible scalp itch. I wash my hair daily and never had any problems with this until about a year ago. I do not have dandruff. I find myself scratching constantly as if my head is swelling causing this need to scratch. Maybe my scalp is just dry. I did notice though when we went on our cruise in Novemeber I have no itchy scalp. As soon as I came back it started again. Maybe it is our water.

linda5555
12-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi
i am so pleased to find this site as i am going insane with the same problems as you.
i was doing housework and my right ear suddenly went very dull as though clogged. but no matter what i did it is still clogged 3 weeks later, and then a week ago i just blew my nose and my left ear popped and never popped back so now that ear is also clogged. been to dr 3 times and got antibiotics and nasel sprays and antihistamine tablets but nothing has helped.
i am so wound up about this i dont know how much more i can take.not eating or sleeping with worry.

anybody any ideas

SanDee53
01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Linda5555 I sympathize with you. It is 3:30am and I am up as I cannot sleep. I am now at 7 months and still no improvement. None of the Drs seem to have answers. They just like to push that nasonex! They are all convinced it is allergies. I went back last week and the nurse practitioner still wants to tell me it is allergies. Then why are the allergy meds not working? The vibration in my head is making me crazy. Quality of like is in the crapper. Why can't these Drs find out what this is, and how to correct it if it can be corrected. I would like to know if I am doomed to spend the rest of my life like this. Mine is the left ear and I am really wondering if cell phones have anything to do with this since I talk on the phone with my left ear. There is alot of speculation on brain tumors and cell phones. My Oral Surgeon feels it is muscular. So what am I supposed to do?

wardler80
01-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I am a complete sympathizer with all of you. I have had ear problems since I was very young. I have also been diagnosed with ET Disorder...my problem is that my ears plug up very bad and then get into this inbetween phase where they are plugged up but in diffferent variation from each other and I want scream. I find myself pacing, crying, pleading for help and there is not much relief to be found. I too, hate going to sleep after the day because I don't want to wake up and find my situation worse. I have had tubes as a child and as an adult, just know that you must be very careful when agreeing to surgery that you don't need becuase it can make you situation worse. I had tubes put in when I was older and my symptoms were much much worse. I take clariton and flonase daily and have since 2002 when my ears plugged up for 8 months...yes, 8 months of slowly getting better.

I have always had to adjust the pressure in my ears manually, by gently plugging my nose and swallowing which works when I am not sick, but when I get a small cold, usually when my throat hurts as well, my ears are what goes bad. I am sick of hearing that you have a cold tough it out. If you don't suffer from ear problems then you don't know what it feels like.

I do know this, I once went to the Emergency Room because I just couldn't take it anymore and the doctor their said, "You have to get all the junk out of your sinuses and the only way to get this out is by flushing it out with saline water." No, not the saline bottles you can buy at the store, but try getting a glass of warm water, mix uniodized salt (table salt) in it. Put enough that it looks like salt water, about a teaspoon or so and flush you sinuses with it. The doctor at the ER gave me a 5cc syringe, which works great for me. I flush 5cc up the nostril until I can feel it draining into my throat, then lean forward and let it drain out of your nose, and then I do this twice with each nostril and then blow my nose. You might be surprised what you get out of your nose. After this your ears may feel tight again, but give it a few moments and they will go back to being the way they were and eventually you might get some relief. I know this helps me. Sometimes I can even feel the squeeking noise in my ears that they want to pop but don't.

I know that is is the worst thing in the world to have plugged up ears so this is just a little advice I got from a doctor once....see if it helps....it may not fix the situation, but it might get the crud out of your nose that is causing all the problems to help it heal faster.

JulieBH
07-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm so glad I found this message board! I too have had an annoying ear problem for over one year. Mine started when I got a really bad flu/laryngitis/bronchitis. After the laryngitis went away I then had this problem with my left ear (actually in the beginning it was both ears), with my hearing muffled and clogged, lots of popping but never stays open. When it is at the worst, I hear my heart beating and feel sick. I feel and hear also little fluttering noises. It mainly happens when I am at home and I am convinced it is due to allergies (but don't know what). It gets worse as the night goes on and I am continually trying to clean out my ear (which doesn't help) and pop my ear-which instantly clogs again. It drives me nuts! What helps is to tilt my head to the left (towards the clogged ear), and to sleep on this side. It is then better in the morning, then starts all over again, but almost instantly improves when I leave my house!

I tried replacing the carpets with hardwood floors and this did nothing!. I do have 2 dogs and one bunny (but the bunny is in a playroom area). I am on Flonase, not sure if this does anything or not. I saw an ENT who thinks this is all from reflux, but then why would this happen mainly at home? I am taking Prilosec and my reflux feels much better but the ear is the same. But this may be the answer for some of you with this problem???

I have never met or known anyone with this problem and anyone I tell thinks I'm nuts so I don't talk about it any more. All I know is I would pay a million dollars to have my old normal ear back! God bless you that have this in both ears and those who have it much worse. I feel your pain...