PDA

View Full Version : Where to go? Emergency Room?

Just-A-Boy
02-17-2008, 04:12 AM
I saw a dermatologist 2 years ago at nonlocal hospital... about a mole below my torso, near my genitals.

She looked at it, said it was fine and to keep an eye on it.

So, the other day I noticed that the mole has increased in size. It always been black. I don't see any color differentiation. The mole is somewhat round but I noticed the edges have slightly changed. In other words, I can confidently say this isn't same the mole 2 years ago.

I went to a hospital to make an appointment with my new doctor. My previous doctor retired. I told them I needed to make a walk-in, they said I cannot since I was transfered to a new clinic. My appointment is scheduled in April. The receptionist didn't ask what my problem was but advised me to go to the emergency room.

Its a county hospital. They have the best trauma and burn center in Northwest area. I would feel very odd to go to an ER over a mole. So I'm really confused. My insurance expires by end of this month until my parents find another one. But the county hospital has a program that I qualified for.

Should I go to the emergency room? Would they be able to take a sample for a biopsy?

mahnee
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
You need to keep in mind that IF you were to be diagnosed with MM prior to your new insurance, you most likely will not be covered for it.

You should NOT go to the ER for a mole check - a month of insurance change isn't going to make too much of a difference... but I would suggest that you get it checked as soon as you can with the new insurance.