PDA

View Full Version : Should I have moles removed?

skyy11
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I am so scared to go through with it. Over a year ago, my Dr. saw 2 suspious moles on my body. One small brownish mole on my lower stomach and one a little larger and slightly raised pinkish one under my breast. I did not have them removed because both of my parents have many moles-especially my mom. She even has big pink/brownish one, right above her lip. I am scared too if it is painful.

My mom's doctors have always told her to leave them alone. If they are not itchy or bleeding do not worry. My mom is totally against having them removed.

I kind of feel the same way. I think the one under my breast has become a little red/pink because it is being rubbed by my bra. It does not hurt or anything. And my skin has stretched from being pregnant. So I am ok or should I just have them taken off and find out if there is cancer or the start of cancer? My Dr. said they could turn in a few years from now. Do they just want "work" to do???? They say they cut them out.:(:(

mahnee
03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
First of all you need to become a little educated on skin cancers and their warnings and symptoms. As for your having your moles removed and biopsied - you should definitely have it done if your moles are changing in anyway. Itching, bleeding are not the only signs. If they are changing in size, shape, color - then they should be checked. There are the ABCDE's of melanoma that you need to go by.

If your doctor is suggesting that you have them removed, chances are that they should be looked at. I don't think the doctor is going to suggest it without reason. But if you know that they are not changing and you feel comfortable with that decision, then you should make that decision. You are you own body advocate. But make sure that you get a little educated on skin cancer before you make those decisions.

Wishing you the best! :)

skyy11
03-07-2008, 07:40 AM
mahnee,
Thank you for the response. I know I need to find out more on the signs of skin cancer. I have been worried ever since she said they could be cancer. I am afraid of the pain during and after. Especially the mole under my breast. That is right where my bra goes.

I think the moles have gotten a little bigger, but so have I! And the one under breast, the color may have become more pink. I still think my bra rubbing there could be causing it?

mahnee
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Well the only way to know for certain is to have the biopsy done. As for the pain - it is very minimal at the time - the shot will sting for a nano second and then you are numb in the area and feel no pain. :)

That is of course with a PUNCH biopsy which what you should ALWAYS ask for. A lot of derms are perfectly content with scrape biopsies - but they are never a good idea.

The pain afterward just depends on your pain tolerance level - it may be a little sore with your bra there - but it is always better to be safe than sorry. That is just my opinion. :)

MissB999
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi there,

Ive had a total of 6 moles removed from my neck, head and shoulder. I have lots of moles and large freckles. None of them have ever bothered me as such but I had them removed for my own personal reasons after a Dr looked at them. Ive had all of them cut out rather than burned off because of their size and shape and deepness. I was petrified but can assure you its a simple process and didnt hurt a bit. It took about 10 minutes for the longest one and the stitches were un noticeable. I am left with small scars but rather that than dangerous moles. I just wanted to reassure you in case you have to have them taken away.
Rachel