PDA

View Full Version : Mole removed

Grumpy78
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Yesterday I went in for a mole check and the doc found a mole he said "he didn't like" ... so he decided to remove it.
He removed it and informed me he was gonna send it in for a biopsy and then he goes "SEE YOU IN A YEAR" ......

Does it mean he didn't think it was bad, so he was sure enough he didn't need to see me again for a whole year?

I really hope this is what he meant ..... but then I go "don't you wanna check the wound before that?" and he goes: "ok, so come back in a month" .... but that only because I asked him ....

What is your opinion? I wasn't scared at all at the doctor's office, I started freaking out only once I got home and started thinking about it again ......... my brain started thinking: mole removal (he just scratched it off, no stitches), biopsy .... oh it could be bad!!!!! and started crying crying crying ....

mahnee
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Well - it doesn't sound like the doctor really expects it to be anything - but only the biopsy will know for sure. My advice is to not get too worried - it doesn't help matters either way.

Another bit of advice is to never have a "scrape" biopsy which is what it sounds like you had. You should always try to get a "punch" biospy. It is just better all the way around. And if your doctor tells you that it doesn't matter - get another doctor. If it ever IS cancerous - then it will matter.

Hopefully all is well - don't stress yourself out about it too much right now. You can relieve a lot of your stress too by considering if it was changing in any way? Size, shape, color... etc? If it was not - then that is even more reason to not worry. :) Let us know how it turns out for you.

Grumpy78
03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I just got the biopsy result today, I am so miserable, the biopsy said ABNORMAL, they want me to go in to remove some more chunk off of it.... bUT WHY???!?!?

When I asked if it's cancer the doctor said NO, so why removing more ?!?!?!? WHY?!?!?! I don't understand, I just wanna cry and cry .... I am so miserable.

And I am olive skinned, light or dark skin color doesn't mean ANYTHING!!!!!! I thought I was fine because I wasn't pale white, I WAS WRONG!!!

Titchou
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
CAlm down! It is NOT cancer or they would have said so. What that means is that it has the potential to become cancerous at some point in the future if not totally removed. They will do a punch incision most likely, a stitch or two and then you're done. I've had it happen before too. I'm darker skinned but spent tons of time in the sun in my youth getting very tanned. This is just one of the side effects. I've had probably two dozen moles removed over the years via the scrape method. Only one on my stomach came back abnormal. It's absolutely nothing to worry about.

mahnee
03-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Titchou is absolutely correct. You need to calm down. Abnormal is nothing to worry about. You have to keep things in perspective. A mole being abnormal is great news really. It does NOT mean that it WILL turn into cancer - it simply means that it is abnormal and it COULD at some point turn into cancer. The odds are that it never would. But most doctors will err on the side of safety and peace of mind and remove it. It is no big deal... nothing to sweat. Seriously - be glad you have a doctor who would prefer to take it out now and get it over with.

Take a deep breath and relax.

Grumpy78
03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

I have been crying the whole day, I am a very pessimistic person.

When I started crying over the phone with the doctor he got MAD at me!! He kept on saying to stop, that it's not cancer and that he would have hung up if I didn't stop, but I couldn't help it, I am not brave and probably stupid.

He also said that the surgery is gonna take 1 HOUR (why so long?????) and it's gonna leave me a pretty big scar. He also said I can go to a plastic surgeon, though I don't know if he meant to have the surgery done or after the surgery to fix the butcher job he is gonna do.

I am sorry, I really thank you for your nice words but I am still very miserable, I wish I was positive and brave but I am not.

Titchou
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Calm down, sweetie! I don't blame him for getting put out with you. You have no need to get yourself so wound up over something that is akin to getting a hangnail removed. Seriously. OK, there are four levels for skin biopsies - normal, abnormal, precancerous and cancerous. So you are closer to normal than cancer. You didn't say how big the mole was so it could take a little more to get it all out. And since you are obviously going to have to be sedated and then brought out of it, it's going to take longer. For people like me who can handle just novacaine, it's only a few minutes. Honey, I had a mole that was next to my nipple removed with just a small shot of novacaine. Think I wasn't a little touchy about that???? It was easier than having an ingrown toenail cut out. The main thing to remember is that the mole was not cancerous - not even close. This is just a blip on the radar screen of life. All is well and you will get through this minor procedure. We're all here for you.

Grumpy78
03-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Thank you, you are so nice.

Another doctor just called me and assured me it's really nothing ....
I am in a very delicate state of mind as I have different issues going on in my life, so every little thing just throws me totally down. Unfortunately doctors are not aware of this and they just think I am crazy (I am also very emotional to begin with).

I am going to have the surgery with a plastic surgeon, so hopefully the scar won't be as bad.

Also, another doc, a friend of mine, told me that they want to take more tissue off so that in 50 years if they didn't remove it and something happens (Gd forbid) I won't be able to sue the doctor ... I believe this is an American's health system issue, in Europe I doubt they would have cut it out this much ..... maybe maybe just removed, not even sure about that - I guess they are not scared of being sued (def. not).

At this point I am not that sure that being scared of being sued is a good or a bad thing, I understand that prevention is a good thing, but sometime it's just too much .... someone can't live his life like this.

I got to the conclusion that the human body is not perfect so probably most of the times you go to the doc and get some biopsy samples from you they will find something that will look "abnormal" to them ..... and will want to follow up and take care of ... not for any other reason but for not being sued in the future for not taking care of it.

Is it good? Maybe yes, maybe not - do doctors care about your health or more about not being sued? Are these 2 things related? ..... If prevention is really better so why not pulling out all of our teeth and use dentures, so we won't have to worry about cavities anymore, why not removing everything that could be hazardous in our body?

I know, I am very extreme .... but this is what I feel sometimes :(

Titchou
03-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, I'm not so sure that's always the case but am sure it is a component oftentimes. I prefer to think of it as he cares enough to make sure you don't have any continuing problems down the road. And if a side effect is not getting sued, then all the better. Why not have both people gain a positive outcome?

Hang in and let us know how it goes.