PDA

View Full Version : Mole biopsy question

Shshi
03-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I had a new mole which came up on my back about a year ago. Since it was in a location which I could only see with a mirror, I didn't think much about it until recently when I noticed that it had gotten larger. It was rather flat, but one side looked thicker. It was a very dark color (almost black) with a lighter color on one side and it was asymmetrical.

My doctor removed the mole on Tuesday. She first just shaved it off and put it in the specimen cup, but then I heard her tell the medical assistant that she was going to go deeper, so she carved quite a large area out around and beneath the mole.

Do you think that she might have seen something suspicious? Or was she just being thorough and my imagination is going nuts?

Grumpy78
03-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi!

From what I have read and been told on this forum they usually do it as a form of prevention. I am not sure I agree with this form of prevention but they do it in order to prevent it to turn into something that could turn bad in 20-30 years.

I believe this is what it is .... seems like it's a pretty normal procedure. Some docs just shave it at first and then make you go back to get more stuff out if something looks weird, somebody was telling me that other docs prefer to take a whole chunk out right away (so they don't make you go back twice, I guess).

I am new on here, but this is what I learned in the last few days, hope it helps.

Shshi
03-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks Grumpy78. That does make sense. :)

mahnee
03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I had a new mole which came up on my back about a year ago. Since it was in a location which I could only see with a mirror, I didn't think much about it until recently when I noticed that it had gotten larger. It was rather flat, but one side looked thicker. It was a very dark color (almost black) with a lighter color on one side and it was asymmetrical.

My doctor removed the mole on Tuesday. She first just shaved it off and put it in the specimen cup, but then I heard her tell the medical assistant that she was going to go deeper, so she carved quite a large area out around and beneath the mole.

Do you think that she might have seen something suspicious? Or was she just being thorough and my imagination is going nuts?

More than likely it fit one of the ABCDE's of skin cancer. Not saying that it is - I am just saying that it probably met one or more of the criteria. Be glad that he did that, it is the best way to do a biopsy. If you are concerned about a mole and it meets the ABCDE's of skin cancer - you should always insist on a "punch" biopsy. It sounds like you had a scoop biopsy. It is not usually done just to prevent it years from now. It helps to get a truer, clearer staging if it does happen to be cancerous. Typically if it is cancerous, you will have to have a WLE anyway so the biopsy is not a "removal" of the cancer. Hope that helps.
Let us know how it goes. :)

sudo59
04-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi everyone,

How did everything turn out?