View Full Version : Mohs or Radiation

05-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Tomorrow I have an appointment with my oncologist to ask about which treatment would be better for my bcc. I have had Mohs before and quite successfully. There's three reasons I'm concerned now and one is the doc, didn't like him, he was very flippant, second the location, which is on my temple. It's very close to a facial nerve and the doc said something about it could get cut and if so I'd have to go through another surgery to in his words "tack up my face". The third is I also have a disease that has begun to effect how I heal and I have recent sites that they removed more bcc's, 4 and they scarred bad. I don't want that for my face. The other Mohs area healed up beautifully but that was before I was diagnosed with the auto-immune disease.


05-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Hmmm, I really can't offer any advice. But I do wish you well. I am just healing up from Mohs on my nose. I had it done on the 15th of this month. My scar is looking really good now, but I did have an amazing Dr. I'm hoping that in a few months it won't be visible at all, and they had to go in quite deep. It took 5 scrapings in all. My nose required a flap to properly close it.

I've never really heard of radiation for BCC. Could you maybe get a second opinion with a Dr. you are more comfortable with?

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Melissa - I just had a BCC removed from my left temple two weeks ago. It was a simple excision (not Mohs) done in my dermatologist's office. The whole procedure took about an hour and a half. Everything seems to have gone fine so far. I can't tell you what the scar is going to look like yet - I have a long way to go as far as healing is concerned. The actual incision is about 3cm long and the cut runs right down the middle between my hairline and my eyebrow/eye. There's a significant bump at the top of the incision right now, but I think that will go away with time (I hope!). My doctor never mentioned any concerns about the surgery site being so close to the facial nerve and, to be honest, I didn't really think about it either. Maybe I should have considered that? I'm sure your doctor is justified in raising that issue with you. But if you're not really comfortable with this physician, you might want to get a second opinion (as suggested by sudo). I hope you're able to get things sorted out soon. I understand how anxious you must be. It's not fun having to make these kinds of decisions, especially when you have an auto-immune disease to consider on top of everything else. Good luck!


05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Sudo and Mary, I had my appointment today and I guess my case is going to be presented at grand rounds. The docs weren't sure what to do with me so I guess this way they can get other docs opinions. (like the radiologist, etc.) They are going to go back and look at the slides and then discuss it. So for now I wait. I'll let you know what they come up with.