PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had groin pain with skin cancer on the leg?

djoyv
06-09-2008, 01:23 AM
I have a long and varied history of skin cancers going back 15 years ago with my first melanoma. Over the last couple of months I have been having ongoing excisions/treatments for squamous cell in the head and neck area that required 2 separate surgeries after the biopsies and i am now following up with Efudex cream. In the time since I started all of this, a lesion developed, grew quite prominent, went through changes and then became painful---on my left shin. It was removed for biopsy last Thursday. My groin on that side has been in pain for about 10 days now. The pain has become increasingly worse, so that it is so severe I am having trouble sleeping. My leg is swelling. I expect the results of the biopsy by Wed. This groin pain is unbearable.

Has anyone else experienced groin pain or tenderness with a lower leg skin cancer?

Thanks~

Seraph
06-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Don't wait until wednesday...go to the ER now and have it checked. Is there a lump there? Maybe there is an infection, but there is no need to put up with this level of pain. Go and see a Dr. Sera

djoyv
06-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Thank you for your reply, Sera. I did just sleep for a couple of hours. I have huge fear of hospital...but I will phone Doctor in the morning to see if I can get in to the office. I had hoped to hear if anyone else had any experience such as this, are you aware of painful groin being related to skin cancer or perhaps I've just pulled something and am being paranoid?

djoyv
06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm not one for the ER and I couldn't bear the pain much longer. I went into see my doctor this morning (not the dermatologist). She did a bunch of movement tests and checked my hip and knee for pulled muscle & arthritis, etc. All checked out ok there. She did feel 2 prominently swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my groin, which was tender & painful to her touch. She thinks the groin pain is related to the lesion that was biopsied. I still haven't heard the results yet. She advised applying heat to the area, gave me an rx for pain, told me to try to stay off my leg and elevate for the swelling and to phone her as soon as I hear the results. If it turned out to be a more benign lesion, she'll then proceed further to try to determine the cause of the lymph node pain & swelling.

mcr285
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
you need to get a petscan or some kind of internal scan to determine if your groin pain is the cancer spreading. my dad died of melanoma stage iv because his doctor was an idiot and wouldn't order a scan until it was too late. and my dad had bad groin pain for months and his doctor said it was probably just a pulled muscle or something like that.... no, it was because his cancer had spread. and he hadn't had any other signs of cancer for seven years before that (he'd had a melanoma removed from his back seven years prior to his stage iv diagnosis). i wouldn't wait. i'd get it done as soon as possible!!!

djoyv
06-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Thank you for your input. I've got to get someone to take notice and follow up in some realistic way.

The leg biopsy came back as negative for melanoma, it was a precancerous lesion for squamous cell, which I am currently being treated for---2 in the head/neck region, but I do have a melanoma history.

While I was waiting for the results, the groin pain was so unbearable, I went to my rheumatologist to see if it could possibly be hip or arthritis related. She did various movement tests and said no, hip & joint are perfect and could feel the swollen lymph node. At the time she thought the biopsy would come back positive and told me to phone her when I knew more. She rx'd pain relievers and hot packs. Obviously the meds help, I'd say without them the pain would likely be about the same. I've tried to call her back, she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I guess I should try again tomorrow and if i don't reach her book another appointment.

Again, thank you for the reality check. Once the biospy came back with good news I'd pretty much just been doing as she suggested and burying my head in the sand.

Beavers5
06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Definitely do not panic, because 90% of the time it isn't as bad as we imagine (or as bad as we find on google :) But get a biopsy done asap. Where was your melanoma? And what stage? My Stage 3b Melanoma was located in the center of my back. Because of the depth 2.99mm and ulceration, they ran a lymphosyntigraphy (sp?). My melanoma was draining to my right axilla (under my arm). I had not noticed until they started pressing on the area that it was painful. After a sentinel lymph node biopsy, we found that I had microscopic metastis to one lymph node.

Your body is trying to tell you that something isn't right. Trust that. It is probably nothing major, but you'll definitely sleep better once you know for sure. And if it is melanoma, you'll just have to beat it again ;)

Good luck