PDA

View Full Version : new here--melanoma fears

lizsmom08
06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi,

I'm new here; I'm 29 years old, married, and have a two-year-old daughter who I'm worried I won't get to see grow up. I have an appointment this Thursday with a new dermatologist, but am worried to death about a new (or at least, newly recognized) symptom in one of my moles. The mole I'm most worried about first worried me a little over a year ago, when a tiny darker spot appeared in the middle of what looked like a freckle or small zit scar (unfortunately, I have had plenty of both). My dermatologist at the time said it was nothing to worry about. Several months later, I saw another dermatologist about a totally different issue, and asked her opinion (from what I remember, at this point the tiny dark spot was gone and the freckle/zit scar thing appeared to be more like a regular mole). This dermatologist also said not to worry about it. This past April, a little over a year after I first brought the mole to her attention, I returned to the initial dermatologist for a checkup (this was a little over two months ago now). At the time, the mole had a raised, possibly zit-like area right next to it. Again, the derm said this was normal and not to worry unless the mole got bigger (right now, the actual mole is less than 1 mm, flat, medium brown, oval and slightly asymmetrical). Within the next week, the raised area apparently healed, like others had before it, around but usually not on the mole, and I tried not to worry and concentrate on the rest of life, which at that point consisted of a move to another city. Although the mole doesn't appear to be visibly darker or bigger, it has continued to worry me. A few weeks ago, I noticed a possibly new mole in a totally different area, which prompted me to make an appointment with a new derm (this week was the earliest I could get). Since then, I've been looking at every spot on my body, trying to get a good read on anything else that may need closer scrutiny. This has included lots of scrutiny of the tiny worrisome face mole. At some point within the past couple of months, I have thought that perhaps there was a faint outline of different skin around the mole (covering considerably a wider area than the mole itself), but convinced myself I was imagining it (especially as, as I mentioned, I have plenty of freckles/zit scars, etc.). This past Saturday, while looking again at the mole, I discerned a definite flesh-colored ring of slightly different texture around, and far outside of, the mole. It is oval, close to, but not perfectly symmetrical, and more or less flesh colored (I'm pretty fair skinned). My husband says he can't even see it. Anyway, I called the derm's office this morning, said I was really worried, and they said they would call me if a cancellation came up, but that they really have nothing until Thursday. I am in a panic, especially considering that this ring around my mole has probably been here for several months at least, and I just couldn't see it clearly (and apparently, neither could the last derm, two months ago). I am worried to death that I have melanoma and that it's spread already, since I know the mole has been here over a year. I've read up on halo moles a little bit, and am hoping this is what we're dealing with, but of course am more worried that it's melanoma. Anyone have a similar experience? Can anyone offer me any hope? I'm trying to trust in God's timing (that he let me see the other, new mole at the perfect time so I'd make another appointment, and that he let me see the definite ring around the mole this weekend, rather than a month ago), but I'm having a hard time with this. Thanks in advance for anyone who's managed to read this far!

rudiraven
06-09-2008, 09:22 AM
It sounds like you've been very diligent going to the derm Drs. You even got a second opinion. :) Try not to worry too much. It doesn't sound like anything serious to me and you've got an appointment on Thursday. You're too young to worry so much about your health. Take care and let us know how the appointment goes. :angel:

ruth ann
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Dear Liz's Mom,

You are doing everything right. Don't panic. A dr.'s appt. is the only way to
find out what you are dealing with. You have your appt. scheduled and that
is the very best that can be done right now. I can't speak for melanoma, but
I can tell you that I had a BCC that was misdiagnosed in Oct., and didn't have
it looked at again until 5 mos. later, when the derma. removed it. I'm doing just
fine now. Skin cancer is very slow growing. And you aren't even sure that that's
what you have. Go to your appt., let us know how it goes, and above all, stay
calm.

Best,

Ruth Ann

djoyv
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
PLEASE try not to worry. And do this: Even if this new derm insists that it's nothing to be concerned about, insist that hearing that is simply not enough for you. Insist on a shave biopsy being sent into pathology at the very least. Don't accept allowing him to freeze or burn it off without a path report. Tell him a story about a close friend that went through a similar experience and you will not be able to rest without a path report.

The majority of unusual moles are nothing at all. I know this from personal experience, if you look quite closely at me, I look like a patchwork doll! I have had 4 sons since my first Melanoma, (3 melanomas, 3 squamous cells, 1 basal cell) waiting the results on a biopsy and literally countless pieces cut off that were nothing. Countless, because I honestly have forgotten how many, there have been that many.

I am recently going through topical chemotherapy treatment after surgery for a squamous cell that spread. I found the first tumor when it was very small, 3 years ago. i went to a new derm, mine had retired. Even with my cancer history, he insisted it was nothing and insisted on freezing it instead of sending it to the lab. I was very uncomfortable with this. Everything else had always been sent to the lab. I tried to insist, he insisted back. He said it was not cancer, he would freeze it, it would never come back. Well, a year later, it came back. I went to a different derm, she insisted I needed topical steroids, 3x a day. Did as she said, it became grossly infected. Didn't want to go back to her, went to a 3rd one. He said the steroids are what caused the infection...and i swear he looked like he was going to cry when he looked at it, which made me very uncomfortable...I didn't go back to him. I told another doctor about all of this. She sent me to the head of Dermatology at UCLA, who said it was nothing, 'ocluded hair folocles'. Well, about 2 months ago, it started to hurt. My boyfriend's dad is a Dermatologist, I went to him, told him everything. He said he saw 2 areas and biopsied right away. The first, was a marble shaped squamous cell cancer, the 2nd was more of a surface squamous cell lesion, where it was spreading to. Both have now been removed and I am applying Efudex 5% 2x daily for 6 weeks and may require 1 additional excision.

I do want you to walk away with this: Of all of the tons of little bits that have been snipped away from me over the last 15 years, the vast majority have been nothing of concern. Try not to worry, and remember, you are the customer---you are hiring the doctor---get what you went there for. It takes less than 5 minutes to do a skin biopsy and will give you a lifetime of peace of mind.

Arggg
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
You could do what I do a lot - just ask them to please excise the mole (remove the whole thing surgically) because you don't like it. They should send it to a lab automatically.

ppink
02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=lizsmom08;3601460]Hi,

I'm new here; I'm 29 years old, married, and have a two-year-old daughter who I'm worried I won't get to see grow up. I have an appointment this Thursday with a new dermatologist, but am worried to death about a new (or at least, newly recognized) symptom in one of my moles. The mole I'm most worried about first worried me a little over a year ago, when a tiny darker spot appeared in the middle of what looked like a freckle or small zit scar (unfortunately, I have had plenty of both). My dermatologist at the time said it was nothing to worry about. Several months later, I saw another dermatologist about a totally different issue, and asked her opinion (from what I remember, at this point the tiny dark spot was gone and the freckle/zit scar thing appeared to be more like a regular mole). This dermatologist also said not to worry about it. This past April, a little over a year after I first brought the mole to her attention, I returned to the initial dermatologist for a checkup (this was a little over two months ago now). At the time, the mole had a raised, possibly zit-like area right next to it. Again, the derm said this was normal and not to worry unless the mole got bigger (right now, the actual mole is less than 1 mm, flat, medium brown, oval and slightly asymmetrical). Within the next week, the raised area apparently healed, like others had before it, around but usually not on the mole, and I tried not to worry and concentrate on the rest of life, which at that point consisted of a move to another city. Although the mole doesn't appear to be visibly darker or bigger, it has continued to worry me. A few weeks ago, I noticed a possibly new mole in a totally different area, which prompted me to make an appointment with a new derm (this week was the earliest I could get). Since then, I've been looking at every spot on my body, trying to get a good read on anything else that may need closer scrutiny. This has included lots of scrutiny of the tiny worrisome face mole. At some point within the past couple of months, I have thought that perhaps there was a faint outline of different skin around the mole (covering considerably a wider area than the mole itself), but convinced myself I was imagining it (especially as, as I mentioned, I have plenty of freckles/zit scars, etc.). This past Saturday, while looking again at the mole, I discerned a definite flesh-colored ring of slightly different texture around, and far outside of, the mole. It is oval, close to, but not perfectly symmetrical, and more or less flesh colored (I'm pretty fair skinned). My husband says he can't even see it. Anyway, I called the derm's office this morning, said I was really worried, and they said they would call me if a cancellation came up, but that they really have nothing until Thursday. I am in a panic, especially considering that this ring around my mole has probably been here for several months at least, and I just c

ppink
02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I am sorry I was reading this message and i don't even know how I copied Lizsmom message again! Lizsmom, How are you now? I hope everything is well with you and your baby

finnegme
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey Liz....I came across this post while trying to find some information about a mole I have noticed. It seems similar to yours. Mine is a small mole, and has a ring (oval shaped) of flesh-colored skin around it that appears to be slightly raised. If this sounds similar to what you had, could you give me some info about what your doctor said? I have an appointment on Thursday, but I've been really worried about it. Thanks!

james079
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Rates of increase of melanoma are absolutely frightening. In the 1930s one in 1,500 got a melanoma. Now one in 58. Seventy or eighty years ago nobody or hardly anyone took off their clothes to get brown, that was for labourers and farmers. The easiest way to diagnose, cut out a piece and see. Not any more we hope. At the British Columbia Cancer agency a new hand held device has been developed and licenced to VERISANTE TECHNOLOGY and this device seems to give instant information about the make up of moles and their molecular makeup. In essence a light is shone on the lesion, a laser and the reflexion comes back into the device to a sensor. The signature given by the lesion is then identifyed and the result seems immediate. The days of a light and magnifying glass may be over. A very large ratio of false posative diagnoses are made, perhaps it's maybe it is, so cut it out just in case! The doc is probably not sued if it isnt but could be taked to task if she says wait and see how it looks.
I am sure that there are many centres in univrsities in America doing the same work as here. Seek them out.
James