PDA

View Full Version : Question about herbs

son1981
06-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Hello

I buy a lot of herbs like the normal club house kind we get at the grocery store that come in little shakers so we can sprinkle them on our food whenever we want. I buy a lot of these herbs because i read good things about them on how healthy they are.

Stuff like Dill, cumin, rosmary, basil, oregano, etc..

I can't help but wonder are we still getting the health benefits of these herbs if they are all dry and ground and we sprinkle them on our food before we cook our food? I hope I am getting all the benefits, otherwise using them all the time would be pointless!

barry65
06-20-2008, 07:48 PM
hi there
the benefit in those sprinkle bottles are very minimal. most of the goodness has been lost during processing, and you mainly use them for taste or flavour.
if you want the medicinal benefit, always grow your own, they are all very easy to grow and can be done in pots or a very small space. fresh is best.

happy growing regards barry ;)

rheanna
06-20-2008, 11:24 PM
son1981,

Dried herbs still have some of the healthy essential oils in them, but if they're ground to a powder they're mostly just flavorful dust. I would buy dried herbs where you can see the leafy bits, and buy a new bottle if there is any left over after one year. The greener they are, the fresher -- when you buy a new bottle and notice that the older stuff is grey, you know it's time!

For really fresh healthy herbs, buy pots of herbs for your windowsill, or even try growing your own.

--Rheanna