PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had over 70 stitches on face from bcc removal via mohs

rose827
08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
i am feeling so surreal yet thankful that all the cancer is gone. Did not expect to have 70 stitches and to be in so much pain right now. They took two layers and he said it was deep. Now I am dealing with the bittersweet reality that yes, it's gone, but oh my God, what will I look like? He used a flap meaning he used my face cheek muscle to cover up hole on side of nose/cheek. I'm very worried about how I will look as my husband saw the hole from the cancer removal then he saw the stitches which I did not see. has anyone been through this?

sudo59
08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi,

Yeah, the cancer is gone! That is the most important thing as I'm sure you would agree.

Now, for the nose, let me tell you that I had Mohs on the left side of my nose back in May, today, nobody would ever know I had a thing done unless I pointed out the faint scar, (I do wear make-up though).

The Dr. had to go in 5 times on mine as it was close to the bone. I had a flap done as well. The first week, I looked hideous, and it was really unnerving. I don't really know how many stitches I had, the Dr. said he lost count. They started up by the corner of my eye and went down the entire side of my nose.

Today, if I don't wear make-up I have a very faint thin line but I do have some discoloration. It looks like I had glasses on that were too tight. It is easily covered with make-up though, and I found the best make-up for the job is Dermablend. It is made especially for scars and discoloration on the face. I would recommend after your stitches come out to use Mederma, I think that really aided the healing of my scar.

You'll be just fine, the worse is behind you and you are now cancer free!!!

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them if I can.

Take care and get some Mederma!

rose827
08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Oh my God thank YOU for your encouraging words! The swelling has gone down...I'm sorry you had 5 stages...but...the cancer is gone...and we are thankful for that. My stitches too start at the corner of my eye and go down to my upper lip. I won't look at them. My husband has been changing the dressing. Pain is much better. Tell me, I don't mean to sound vain as the cancer is gone...stitches are coming out on Friday, but, I try to smile and I can't on the right side, nor can I feel my right side of nose as it's numb. My MOHS surgeon was excellent and well reputated. I'm going back to work on September 2 (teacher's assistant) and can't imagine that my face will be moving the way it used too. My smile, the way I yawn...how was your experience? I didnt' get to spend much time asking questions while being sewed up as the relief was the cancer is gone. I appreciate your help as I do feel isolated right now...but is only day 5 and I am patient. Thank you so much and yes, I will get mederma and dermablend!-Rose

sudo59
08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
That's okay, I was/am very vain. I won't lie, the first couple of weeks after the stitches came out I was still a little disappointed. I may have been over sensitive though, people kept telling me it's not that bad but to me it was. It is the first thing I would notice when I looked into the mirror.

My nose was very numb for quite some time after, it is still a little bit numb but nowhere near what it was. The Dr. told me it takes time for the nerve endings to repair themselves. When I went back to the Dr. for a 1 month check-up he injected some type of steriod, it aids in reducing the swelling and any scar tissue that may be on the inside. That helped tremendously, you may want to check into that.

Trust me, I understand how you feel right now, I had such and emotional week while the stitches were still in. One minute I was elated the cancer was gone, the next I was freaking out about what I looked like or would like like. Not to brag but I am an ex beauty queen, 1st runner-up in a Miss Michigan pageant, of course this was years ago but still, that should give you an idea of how vain I am/was.

Like you, when I smiled it felt "odd", and if I put my finger on the area it felt more odd! To this day it still does not feel exactly like the other side, don't know if it ever will BUT, it looks perfect!

Trust me, you'll be fine, it's just gonna take some time to heal. Hang in there and again, feel free to ask me anything.

rose827
08-09-2008, 04:22 PM
had stitches out yesterday. weird thing just happened...my left nostril in the inside feels like it's "closing" as there's a bump there that I didn't have yesterday, then my exterior nostril started bleeding where the exciscions were. I have many many interior stitches ... I bled through my dressing, laid down and applied pressure and the bleeding stopped. then I reapplied the vaseline and am lying down with the wound covered just haven't taped it yet. has this happened to you? did your nostril feel funny inside? my inner cheek was swollen for 2 days...odd questions but concerning. I read your posts from the past and am wondering if you ever tried the epiderm silicone strips some suggested? I eagerly await your reply!

sudo59
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have been out of the office and that is where I do most of my emailing.

To answer your question, no, my excision never bled after being stitched. Although I don't know if that is all that uncommon because my Dr. had told me that if it did to just apply pressure like you have done.

Also, no, I did not use the strips, I just stuck with the Mederma.

I hope you are doing better today, please let me know how you are progressing.

rose827
08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Thank you for your reply!
Did you use the mederma right after stitches were out? I have to keep gauze dressing on wound using vaseline...did you do that as well as mederma?
How long before you could "blow your nose!" Odd questions, but, hey, it's reality. I'm having alot of ear pain (history of ear/sinus problems) since surgery. Also, what type of dermablend do you recommend? You have been an answer to my prayers! Oh-I had a biopsy on a spot under my eye on other side of face on Monday...will know if it is cancerous or not on Thursday. Timing is good as I teach...thank you so much. Rose

sudo59
08-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi Rose,

I did start using Mederma right away. My incision was very well closed though at that point. I would make sure your incision is completely closed before applying Mederma. I still use Mederma to this day. Once in the morning under my make-up and again at night before going to bed. Just a tiny dab is all that is needed.

I use the Dermablend concealer that comes in a long narrow tube, it has two different colors on either end and well as their foundation that comes in a thicker short tube like case. I just love it, you can't even see a scar AT ALL when I have it on yet at the same time it does not look overly made up.

Lucky for me, I haven't had a cold yet so I haven't had too much nose blowing going on, I suspect it would be okay now but I know in those early weeks it would have definetely been tender, plus I probably would have been afraid I'd blow a hole right thru the side of my nose which is what you are probably afraid of! : )

Trust me, you are going to fine. I know it's not something I would ever choose to go thru again but it's behind me now and the worse is over for you too.

If there was a way I could post pics here I would just to show you how well the scar looks, or lack their of I should say. I don't think we can do that at this website though.

Please keep in touch and enjoy your day. I wish you the best of luck on your other biopsy. Please let me know what you find out.

RidgebackDogs
08-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi!
I did not blow my nose for a month after having flap-grafting done after Mohs to remove bcc on the tip. Dr. told me not to after surgery. Noticed on inside of nostril there is a bump there that wasn't before - well since I couldn't blow i used q-tips moistened with water - i noticed with me that the inside of the nose was slower in healing than the outside. I have not tried mederma - i wonder when is the best time to start using that? I would be nervous to try it too soon. Perhaps your doc would know.

rose827
08-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Great news about biopsy on other side of face...BENIGN! Would have had to dig down deep if I had to have MOHS again...but would do it. It has been two weeks since MOHS and yesterday I began the mederma cream. Ordered dermablend but I don't know when I can start wearing makeup. Wound is healing, very raised, very hard...very red...feels so odd. One day at a time, right? I'm putting vaseline over mederma (when it dries) and still using gauze as I have had very slight oozing if I do too much. Did you have stitches come out...the internal ones? I find these little black strings poking out...I feel like I had a face "drop" vs. what us women would love "a lift!" My eye where the stitches start is somewhat droopy...give it time, right? Thank you for all your help..

gayle428
08-18-2008, 08:42 AM
I had bcc on my face too, and it was removed via mohs. It was on my cheek, under my eye. But, I only had about 25 stitches (regular black stitches, not the internal ones).

This was several years ago, so I have had plenty of healing times. I did not wear face make up, only eye make up, till it was completely healed. All I can say, is give it time - it will heal. Now, there is only a faint white scar, that is easily covered with regular foundation make up.

twinsmum
08-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Hello Rose I has very similar surgery in 2003 it takes time but you will get back to reasonable normal, I never knew how many external stitches I had my husband just watched in amazement as the pile grew to a pile about 2inches high, the internal stitches just melted away some in my mouth I swallowed, as I am new to this forum I dont know if they will allow me to put on a passport photograph I had taken last year, you can hardly tell my upper lip was my cheeks, scars well I can still see them:confused:

seajay
09-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Wow,

I just came on your post and I had posted here a couple of years ago in reply to someone's post about a basal cell on the shoulder.

Anyway, I had a MOHS eight years ago on the tip of my nose. It took five times to get it out and it went straight though the tip, leaving a third nostril much bigger than the other two that were meant to be there. . . about 1/2 inch from side to side, lateral and longitude. They did a hatchet flap, from between my brows all the way down to the tip. Stitches, there were plenty. It took 90 minutes to close it up. Unfortunately, I was pregnant at the time and did not know it. They say it was because of the pregnancy that I did not heal properly and the other side of my nose collapsed. After the delivery, I had to have another procedure because of difficulties, but once I was healed, I had the tip of my nose reconstructed. I would not advise anyone go this route to have insurance pay for a nose job!

All in all, the scarring is not noticable and my nose is a bit smaller. When they first did the MOHS procedure, I was so upset . . .thought I looked like Egore! I cried a lot. Now, I try to warn people of the dangers of sun bathing. It sounds as if everyone here is satisfied with the way the skin flaps look after they have healed. Skin grafts from other areas leave a noticable scar and the dermatologists are doing their best to leave a pretty face pretty with skin flaps.

k2626
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi guys. I was just dx with this on my chest. I have NO clue how long I have had it. How long does it take to met to other areas. I have had a host of odd symptoms for 3 months-shooting spine pains, nuero issues, roaming joint pain. I am so scared I have mets to my spine.

When this type of cancer grows, does it grow in terms of the size of the spot or grow in your body.

I have another pinkish spot that I fear could be this to. I am scared it has been going undetected for MANY yrs because I would not have noticed it if it did not bleed, its SUCH a light pink.

Please ease my mind!