PDA

View Full Version : activities after being diagnosed with melanoma ???

nicky326
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi

I'm new at this and new to having been diagnosed with a lentigo(?) melanoma on my left upper arm after going to a pigmented skin cancer clinic for 22 years. During all that time, everything went well except having a few suspicious moles taken off and a few basal and squamous cancers taken care of on a body that has many dysplastic nevi, mostly on my back. Monday I had the melanoma worked on by a plastic surgeon to make larger margins to make sure the in situ melanoma was not larger. At that time also, 2 other spots were removed (leg and other arm).What I think is surprising is all of these were really small and I always put at least 30 sometimes 50 SPF on. No word yet on the biopsies. I was told I have 5 risk factors.

I would very much want to know from those of you who have had melanoma years ago, how you go about your life ,since this has rocked my world. I play(played?) golf and tennis and want to know about any of you out there how you deal with outdoor activities. Am I destined to cover up with the 60+ uv clothing ,play before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m., and hang outside only on rainy days?

LuckyladyNZ
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi,
I posted my fears of paranoia yesterday and I too am wondering how to be "outside" in the future. I am 40 next year and live in a country that is very outdoors. I hope you get some good advice and i shall be following your responses as hopefully it will help me too.

Dallas08
09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I was on my way to my girlfriends beach condo when I found out of my diagnoses. We got to there and I didn't want to go into the sun at all. I called the RN hotline at my hospital and they informed to just put on plenty of sunscreen and I will be fine. I make sure to put spf 50 on every little mole. Definitely not taking any more chances.

mahnee
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
You cannot let melanoma rule your life. More than likely if - and I say IF - you have any more melanomas, they are from previous exposure to the sun. And there is really nothing you can do about that except be very careful to regularly check your skin and keep your appts at the derm.

If you are aware of your risk - you take precautions when you go into the sun. You avoid prolonged exposure if you can of course. But using sunblock, hats or visors, protective clothing, etc... you are doing what you can. And that is what you should do. But you cannot crawl under the house and hide from the sun. :)

Just be careful and sensible. Take care. :)