PDA

View Full Version : Just diagnosed with Melanoma

Dallas08
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
On Friday I was told that I have Melanoma. It's 1.1mm so I have to have surgery at Moffitt to remove it and to get my lymph nodes checked. I was told that if the mole was 1.0 or less that the Dermatologist could remove it at her office. The mole has been there for about a year. Don't know why I waited so long.

I was wondering if 1.1mm is still considered early detection and my chances of having cancer in my organs or lymph nodes are less likely considering it's just over 1mm. I have a consultation tomorrow but I can't wait to see the doctor. Figured I'd try here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

mahnee
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi there ~ I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. There is one thing about Melanoma that you will learn quickly. It is VERY unpredictable. There is no way to predict if it has spread to your lymph nodes until you have your surgery/SNB. For example - my melanoma was 5.0 mm & the doctors were very worried that it had spread to the nodes - but it did not. I am still considered high risk though.

Did the doctor mention to you a SNB (Sentinal Node Biopsy)? Normally when the melanoma is 1.0 mm or more - there is a SNB. You might want to ask your doctor about this when you see him. Personally - I would suggest that you have it done. But that is just me.

1.1 mm is still close to 1.0 & therefore not as worrisome. Just a suggestion to you to make things easier for you... always get copies of your pathology reports. Keep your own file and this way you have them if you ever need them.

Keep us posted on how things go. Wishing you the best. :)

Dallas08
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I talked to an RN at Moffitt and she said something about a dye that they will inject instead of ripping out lymph nodes. I will find out more information tomorrow. I was told that even though it's past 1.0mm, it's still considered an early stage.

It is located on my neck/shoulder area so it is close to the nodes. From what I'm hearing I shouldn't sweat it too much. I'm still preparing for bad news but hopefully it's all over with in a couple weeks.

Anybody know about the injection testing for lymph nodes?

mahnee
09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Well that sounds like a sentinal node biopsy - but they will be taking the lymph node out to biopsy it.

I did have it done and the process of tracking the lymph system is very easy. I had my injections on the bottom of my foot though & it hurt - a lot. But after that - it was a breeze. :) It was kind of entertaining watching the path of my lymph system. :)

Hope that helps you. :)

Dallas08
09-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Dang. I was hoping i didnt they didn't have to cut one out. My guess is because it is by my neck that they'll remove one from my throat area. That is probably going to hurt a little bit but whatever needs to be done i'll put up with it.

Where did they have to take your lymph node from? How much did it suck?

mahnee
09-02-2008, 01:10 PM
More than likely it will be your neck - but it depends on how your lymph system travels. The first lymph node that they track the injection to is the one that they take.

My lymph node was in my groin. My melanoma was on my foot. It was not bad really. It hurt like any surgery does for a while. But I was never in intense pain. And I can't take pain meds other than Motrin or Tylenol. The incision for the node was about 3 inches. :)

Dallas08
09-18-2008, 06:13 AM
UPDATE I had surgery at Moffitt on the 9th. They did an ultrasound of my lymph nodes in my neck, a CAT scan after that with an injection to light them up, then surgery a couple hours later. They removed the Melanoma which left about a 3 - 4inch scar on the back of my neck. They made two other incisions to take out 4 lymph nodes. One incision by my ear and another by my collar bone. It took exactly one week to get back the biopsy results which ended up NEGATIVE!! No more cancer. I just have to get regular checkups for a couple years but I'm definitely glad that's over with.

jim816
09-18-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks for sharing the good news with us. Moffitt is a wonderful cancer center, they have some very talented Doctors on their staff.

sudo59
09-18-2008, 07:11 AM
What wonderful news, thank you for updating us.

Marysu

mahnee
09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Great news! :) Thanks for sharing. Heal well and quickly! :)