PDA

View Full Version : knee replacment

sbogard
09-18-2008, 08:17 AM
I am 65 and had polio at 9. Left leg is shorter and has back knee. Can a knee replacment add 1/4 to 3/8 inch to heigth? I am still walking but am getting weaker each year. Steve

AuntieLeela
09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
I was just in the orthopedist's asking the same question! Same measurements even, LOL. I have juvenile chronic polyarthritis and leg length discrepancies are common. I had a surgery as a child called "epiphyseodesis" that was supposed to fix the problem but it didn't work. My knee is shot now and I've been have back and hip problems from the LLD.

Yes, they can accommodate for leg length differences - up to 2 inches. Of course, everyone is different, you'll have to go over this with your ortho. Good luck. :)

danal84
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Aunti Leela, are you saying they can fix youre short leg? How do they do that. My right leg is shorter 2 inches from polio and also very weak, I wear a brace and a shoe lift, I am only 24.
Dana

AuntieLeela
09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
All cases are individual, you'll have to discuss it with your orthopediac surgeon. Do you need a knee replacement?

My ortho said knee replacements can fix a difference up to 2". I assume he meant add 2" or take away 2".

Leg lengthening surgery (not knee replacement) can be performed on adults - not just kids. You might have to go to a big city clinic to get it done. I know the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City does LL procedures on grown people.

PS - Oh, you're in a big city, Atlanta. Maybe try Emory University Medical Center's orthopedic department?

jssaml95
11-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I am 65 and had polio at 9. Left leg is shorter and has back knee. Can a knee replacment add 1/4 to 3/8 inch to heigth? I am still walking but am getting weaker each year. Steve

My ortho said only a hip replacement can add height