PDA

View Full Version : What could this be? reply as soon as you can please........

monkey5
09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi there, i am not new to GI issues but this one is new to me today. I have known for a long time something with my stomach is not right and noone has listened and i kinda gave up pushing without real evidence of anything some may know what i mean by this. Well once again last few days i was feeling like sh** and i finally went to the bathroom and i looked as usual as i have had blood, muscus ect. you name it. Something was different today that it was very good but then it had this white stringy looking particle and i was amazed and discusted. I didn't know what i could put this in and go to the er but i was going to go but i did get on the phone with GI dr. and GP and am waiting. It makes me sick to think what this could be and how long it may have been like this and how much damage? I want to go to the er right now and find out if this is what it is and take care of it. I know it can happen to anyone but get it away from me right now! Maybe i feel good afterwards! Can i go to the er without a sample? What would they do, run blood work?
Take care Monkey
P.S. Lots of current weight loss, nauseau, i am wondering parasite maybe?

lucylucy
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I get this once in a while. I finally got up the nerve to ask a doctor, and he said mucus is somewhat common in people with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). It can look like long white stringy material, or little white or pale gobs. Apparently everyone has some mucus in the digestive system, but it usually gets incorporated into the stool so you don't see it. I think it's there to help lubricate the passage or protect the tissues on the side of the colon. It could also be streaks of fat he said. For me it usually shows up when I have a firm large stool that seems to sort of scrub the pipes as it goes through.

If you're having bad diarrhea and weight loss, you should go to the doctor just in case, and specifically ask about worms or parasites. I once had diarrhea for 2 weeks nonstop and I had to bring in a stool sample to the doctor's office to be tested for parasites, worms and the like. The test was negative, and we later figured out that it was a side effect from a medication that I had been on for 4 weeks (Effexor).

I remember reading with some types of worms, you might have itching the rectal area. They used to suggest a trick for parents when their kids seemed to be very itchy. It involved putting a piece of tape over the rectum at night and looking at it in the morning for any tiny worms (ringworms maybe?).

monkey5
09-26-2008, 03:06 PM
lucylucy, thanks for the quick reply. The only thing is i have had lots of mucus all this time and it wasn't slimmy and it was like it was curled up eweeeeee gross i know and i am freaked out as the GI office of course never called back and i swear if it does it again i will take it in whatever i can find and go to the er.
Thanks again Moneky

lucylucy
09-28-2008, 05:40 PM
It's a challenge I know. These things never show up when you're going to the doctor. Since you have the opportunity to plan ahead, stop by a doctor's office to pick up a sterile specimen cup to put it in. That way you won't have to put poop in a baggie or your own tupperware. LOL