PDA

View Full Version : Given up sugar - is what I'm experiencing normal?

Oglegen
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I have been addicted to sugar my whole life. Three chocolate bars, a cake, icing, gummy bears, jelly beans, sherbert, boiled candy have been my inbetween meal snacks for all 24 years of my existence. Anyway, two weeks ago and 40 fillings later I have finally given up sugar because I realised I could ruin my health. I'm having some weird side effects that I'd like to ask you if they're normal and also a few questions about diet, if someone could help me?

- Feel like I have bad breath? The taste in my mouth has changed?
- Have I stopped feeling hungry because my hunger was actually a craving for sugar?
- I feel nauseous at around 4,5 and 6pm every day. Why do you think this is?
- I've started getting really sick of other types of food very quickly. Eg, rice, I feel full after a few spoonfuls, fish fills me up and i don't want to look at it anymore, I can go for ages without eating, but still feel like something's not quite right. is this all sugar craving? Any tips to help with this?
- What other food is there to eat that will balance my sugars or will relieve the feeling of withdrawal I have from sugar that isn't sugar? I've tried fruit but it doesn't work.

Cheers

Positive Energy
10-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi
I am not an expert but have experienced similar things. Try upping yout protein and limiting your carbs. Try haveing a protein snack like cheese or a protein shake around three o'clock before your blood sugar dips. THis should help with the nausaua.
Also white rice converts to sugar so if you want rice go with brown. Fruit does too!
Good Luck

JohnR41
10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
>>>What other food is there to eat that will balance my sugars or will relieve the feeling of withdrawal I have from sugar that isn't sugar?<<<

Have you tried whole grain bread? It's healthful and yet it will convert to sugar as you eat it. It might serve as a replacement to refined sugar and thereby satisfy your craving. Anything like corn or a sweet potato would likely accomplish the same thing.