PDA

View Full Version : Change in bowel habits

jackie1212
10-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I have had 3 bouts of diverticulitis in 9 months. I am finally going for my colonoscopy in 2 days. I was hospitalized in April after CT confirmed diverticulits. I was suppose to go for a colonoscopy after I was hospitalized but was feeling better and convincved myself I could heal myself with diet changes. I got my third bout about six weeks ago and finally scheduled the colonoscopy. I am so afraid they will find colon cancer. I have done a lot of reading on the subject. My symptoms are pain in the left and right side, lower abdominal pain and pressure, very thin ribbon-like stools for about 6 weeks often dark almost black in color. I have been very tired and washed out. Can diverticultis cause all this, too, or is it possible they could find cancer? I am just trying to prepare myself. Will the colonoscopy show cancer immediately? I know that if there are polyps , they will send specimen to the lab for results but I was wondering if there would be cancer in the colon other than maybe a polyp if it would show up and I would know that day or get a clean bill of health that day. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

auntjudyg
10-07-2008, 07:08 AM
jackie, Your symptoms are consistent with diverticulitis. Most people have polyps, and most are benign, but, unfortunately, it takes a couple of days before the biopsy is complete. So try to stay calm . . . it will be a couple of days after the colonoscopy before all the results are in. (Of course, if there are no polyps, you will know right away!)

jackie1212
10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Thank you for the good advice!!