PDA

View Full Version : Hair color crisis - dye job turned out wrong

Dark Stranger
11-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Last night, I once again attempted to dye my hair, and, just like last time, the colors turned out screwy.

According to the color description on each bottle (I used two colors), I applied jet black and bright red tips. These are each semi-permanent. What I ended up with was dark brown with strawberry blonde tips.

I expected the colors I got when the dye had faded, but after a fresh dye job? I don't think so. Right now, I have colors I absolutely did not want. And I left the dye in for much longer than I was instructed to - the bottles recommended I leave the dye on for 25 minutes. I left the black in for a half hour the first time and an hour the second time (I double-coated the black), and 45 minutes for the red, since it was such a small area.

I assumed leaving the dye in longer would result in more vibrant or darker colors...not the crap I ended up with.

I suppose I shouldn't expect top quality from a bottle of $4 dye, even though it is clearly labeled as professional quality salon formula.

I have read that heat will make dye more vibrant. Does anyone think using a hair-dryer might help the color come out brighter if I add another coat of dye?

imtupp
11-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Semi permanent color will only fill so dark, except if your hair is very porous, then perhaps it may grab darker. I'ii assist you if you can answer a few questions.

1. What is your natural haircolor?
2. Is your hair virgin?
3. What are the exact names of each color you used?
4. Did you mix 2 products together?

I await your answers for further advice.

tup

Dark Stranger
11-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for replying so fast, imtuppence. Here are some answers to your questions:

1. My natural color is dirty blonde.

2. No, my hair is not virgin. It has been bleached a few times, retouched many times, and dyed with only semi-permanent dyes over the last three years.

3. The dyes I used were Clairol Beautiful Collection jet black and Clairol Jazzing ruby red.

4. The colors did overlap in some spots on the hair, but the liquid dyes were never actually combined.

The only brand I have found that sticks to my hair and results in the proper color is Manic Panic, but I really did not want to spend $10 on a vial of red Manic Panic to dye three inches of hair.

Should I try a permanent black dye? Do you think it will be okay to use over the failed semi-permanent dye? If I can get a refund from the store I got my current dyes from, I may put it toward permanent black dye and just color my red tips with a Crayola washable marker (which I have learned is a good way to add temporary color streaks).

imtupp
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry I'm late at responding as I can only imagine how quickly you wished this fixed.

1. Natural level-dirty blonde(level 6). Now imagine if you took a purple crayon and colored on 1. white paper, 2. yellow paper, 3. dark blue paper. They all look different... right? Semi permanent does the same thing. Follow so far. Because you are a 6 level and wish to be a 1 level(black) that's an awful lot of filling. Perhaps I'd suggest applying the black and processing it the RECOMMENDED time. Rinse off very well and reapply remaining product, and you should achieve the same results as the crayon trick.(don't apply the black where you want the red tips.)

2. If your hair has any old color on it, it will be porous compared to the new stuff grown out, therefore it may grab darker than the roots.

3.When I asked if you mixed 2 bottles, I meant of each color separately. Sometimes they lead the general public to believe it is semi permanent when in fact it is not. If you mixed 2 bottles together before you applied the color you ARE NOT working with semi permanent color.

Hope this helps. I'll check back in on you later.
tup

Dark Stranger
11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
My hair had no old color on it - that "purple" I had previously washed out entirely. And my hair is currently bleached blonde and at what I think is level 8 (golden blonde). Is there any chance Kool-Aid may have made a difference? I "dyed" my hair twice with Kool-Aid in the last couple of weeks.

I spoke to one of the ladies at the beauty supply store and she said that my hair might be too soft and that any semi-permanent black dye I use will turn out this odd brown color.

I might just go with jet-black Manic Panic - that is the only brand I have ever tried that seems to stick to my hair and turn out the way it should, even over other dyes. I've only washed my hair once since I dyed it and the color is fading even without washing! :eek:

As for my red tips...I'm just going to get some Crayola markers and draw them in. I don't care if that washes out or not because I can get those tips trimmed off or dye over them with black if the ink doesn't come out.

Thanks very much for your help.