PDA

View Full Version : My Mom was killed by a drunk driver 11/4/08

Altson
11-09-2008, 05:10 PM
My Mom was murdered by a drunk driver last Tuesday evening on her commute home from work. She was a young 59 and lived with me, her only daughter, my husband and our 4 kids. My kids have never known a moment without her and neither have I.

While I have a large, loving and supportive extended family, I can't get pastthe fact I've been orphaned by a total stranger who made the worst possible choice to get in a car and drive after he had been drinking all afternoon. I can't stop thinking "Where were the friends he was drinking with? Who bought an underage young man the alcohol? Who served him if that was the case? He was on his way home from work, so was he drinking at his place of employment, even though he was a minor?" The police will say nothing to me only that "You'll get the full police report in about a month with our results". He does have insurance, it is minimal and won't cover a thing.

What's even worse for me is the comments the public can make on the newspaper article pages online. Since the investigation won't be complete for about a month, the newspaper cannot state he was DUI. His family knows and my family knows but his family has chosen to grandize him as some great guy and how sad that he left behind a 1 year old baby boy. They've offered not one condolence to my family, not one. Every single one of my family members have forgiven him and have posted a sympathy to his family. Yes, he died of his injuries the morning after the accident. Had he survived, he would have been charged with felony DUI and gross vehicular manslaughter and gone to jail. The crash was head on, him driving a speeding Suburban the wrong-way in my Mom's lane. He completely obliterated her mini-van and her as well. I can't even have a viewing to say good-bye to her, not even a private one just for me, he ruined her body so badly.

Of course I know he didn't want to kill himself or leave his little boy fatherless. But why, why, why after all everyone sees and is told about drinking and driving, did he still do it? Why does anyone?

joansartiers
11-10-2008, 02:41 AM
My dear, everything happens for a reason and only God knows. There are many sad reasons why people turn to alcohol, but yet we don't know if he was drinking for fun or personal problems. My heart goes out to you and your family. There are many questions that just can not be answered, and even though you think that you will never see or speak to her again it is not true. If you truly believe and look deeper, the love between you and her and your entire family should bring it to ease. Think about your children, please try and be strong, for their sake. Please don't think or say negative things about this or the boy because it won't make you feel better. Never pay attention to what the public says, they dont know anything, they only listen to what they want to hear, and you dont have to tell or explain anything to them. I'm sure your mother is in a beautiful place and if proud of you, to find a loving husband and have children with him, as well as for taking care of her.

caringsister54
02-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Dear all the larsons
your questions are valid and you should direct them to the prosecutor in the county. Yes, while the driver died, your questions leave a whole host of people negligible and should be brought to pay for their stupidity.

you can sue the establishment he was at, the bartender who served him, anyone who was with him.

You can also sue his family if he had a history of drunk driving convictions because if he was young and underage for drinking, they enabled him to take the car and drive.

There are options here. While NONE of it brings your mother back, it should be as simple as turning a page here. Someone should be held accountable for what transpired.

CaringSister54