PDA

View Full Version : anorectal motility?

mich423
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I know I post this in the Digestive disorders category but I meant to post it here, because my other post are here! Thanks!

I just went for a follow up visit with my gastroenterologist since my colonoscopy and he had asked me if anything changed. I told him no, I'm still taking Milk Of Magnesia every night before bed so i can go in the morning without straining and having to pick out the stools. Even when they are soft and pastey, I still have to resort to this. I get the urge to go every morning even without the laxative, but the poking to get the stools out drives me crazy and is painful. Anyway, he told me to see another doctor that specializes in anorectal motility. I asked him why I was so much better even just three years ago and he said "these things only get worse". Well that was encouraging! He also said I'm kind of young to have these problems, He doesn't want me to be like this for the next thirty years or so (having to rely on laxatives, etc.) He told me that as we get older our bowels slow down, but this is something i need checked out. Well, once again I'm scared, I waited a month for that without any changes. What's happening to me? Has anyone else had to take motility tests? What were they like? Please let me know, I'm really scared and in the dark.

Thanks,
mich

Harry
11-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Mich,

To have normal BMs a person needs to intake 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily. And, it needs to be a combination of both insoluble and soluble fiber.
All meats , seafood and dairy products contain NO fiber.

You also need to drink more water than you are now drinking-- 8 glasses daily is adequate.

Taking laxatives like you are doing will cause your body to move water to colon to initiate a BM--That is how Osmotic laxatives work-- this makes the rest of you colon dryer-- resulting in problems the need day. Using laxatives will make you depend on them and make the muscles in your colon lazy. They are OK for short term use but not every day.

Harry

PS-- read the Thread in the Information Archive at the top of this page-- page 2 post #8. Normal BMs

suzyljank
11-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi, I don't know how old you are but being female you may also have underlying pelvic floor issues and they can cause bowel problems, especially constipation or slow motility. If you had all the tests, eat a diet high in fiber and drink plenty of liquid a day and you still have issues you may need some sort of help from a fiber substitute or osmotic type laxative on a daily basis. Osmotic laxative drawn water into the colon to soften the stool in low doses they really act more like a stool softener and products like miralax or it's generic are safe to use daily if needed. They even put children on it. I have some of the same issues you do and on top of it I got a chronic anal fissure from straining. I just had surgery and I was told to continue my high fiber diet which is not hard to do at all (25-30 grams a day is easy). And to keep my bms soft and strain free. I use miralax before I go to bed, I take about half of the recommended dose and all three of my doctors said I could use if daily. It's very important to remember to increase you fluid intake too. You have to do what makes your life comfortable for you and with the help of the right doctor I'm sure you'll find that balance. Suzy

mich423
11-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Only about three years ago I was taking metamucil at night and making stools that were formed and usually easy to come out. But suddenly within this past year, no matter what I take, eat, drink, fiber, nothing seems to help. And paradoxically, I cannot let myself get nervous or excited, as in going to a store or shopping, because then I spend most of the time in the bathroom, trying to poke the stool out.My mom gets fed up and doesn't like the idea of public toilets. When I asked the doctor what changed he said he didn't know, but these things usually get worse. The last time I tried to go back on the metamucil, i had an impaction and had to take sennacot for it finally to come out. It was trapped in my lower bowel! I just hope that I don't have to wear a bag or pouch. My dad had colon cancer and had to wear one. He was ok with it, but I know my social life will be over! I'm terrified!!!