PDA

View Full Version : Constipation and Bleeding

drewsmom
12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
It's been a few years since I have posted here. I'm back hoping for some advice. A few years back, I was diagnosed as having chronic constipation due to a redundant colon. I have done a really good job keeping the constipation under control until this past week. Last week, I came down with the flu. I couldn't eat or drink anything because it caused vomiting. So after a few days, I became extremely constipated. Yesterday, I went to the bathroom, and it was a struggle. Not only did it hurt while going, but when I had finished, I noticed that the bowl had blood in it. When I wiped, I noticed bright red blood. Well a few hours later I had to go again. This time I paid close attention. One of the stools was covered with bright red blood and I noticed I was dripping blood into the toilet. I have drank tons of water, upped my fiber intake, and taken stool softeners and this morning it was better. There was still blood on the stool, but the dripping into the bowl had stopped. Has anyone had this happen to them? I was thinking it was maybe a fissure or a hemorroid. My last barium enema (cannot do colonoscopy due to redundant colon) was in June of 07 and everything was fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

suzyljank
12-19-2008, 07:50 AM
It's been a few years since I have posted here. I'm back hoping for some advice. A few years back, I was diagnosed as having chronic constipation due to a redundant colon. I have done a really good job keeping the constipation under control until this past week. Last week, I came down with the flu. I couldn't eat or drink anything because it caused vomiting. So after a few days, I became extremely constipated. Yesterday, I went to the bathroom, and it was a struggle. Not only did it hurt while going, but when I had finished, I noticed that the bowl had blood in it. When I wiped, I noticed bright red blood. Well a few hours later I had to go again. This time I paid close attention. One of the stools was covered with bright red blood and I noticed I was dripping blood into the toilet. I have drank tons of water, upped my fiber intake, and taken stool softeners and this morning it was better. There was still blood on the stool, but the dripping into the bowl had stopped. Has anyone had this happen to them? I was thinking it was maybe a fissure or a hemorroid. My last barium enema (cannot do colonoscopy due to redundant colon) was in June of 07 and everything was fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

suzyljank
12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
It sounds like a fissure or hemorrhoid. Just keep taking stool softeners and drinking lots of liquid. I also eat shredded wheat twice a day because it has lot of fiber. I had fissure surgery a couple of months ago so I take miralax daily. Good luck Suzy.

drewsmom
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you Suzy! I was wondering if you had any advice for pain. My rear end is killing me. Thanks!

Chantal231
12-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi drewsmom,

I too have a redundant colon so you have my sympathy.

Warm baths always soothe me when I have a bad spell.

Has you Dr ever tried a colonoscopy? My Dr wants to try one and I'm terrified he will perforate my colon. He knows I have a redundant colon but has scheduled me for a procedure.

Chantal

drewsmom
12-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi drewsmom,

I too have a redundant colon so you have my sympathy.

Warm baths always soothe me when I have a bad spell.

Has you Dr ever tried a colonoscopy? My Dr wants to try one and I'm terrified he will perforate my colon. He knows I have a redundant colon but has scheduled me for a procedure.

Chantal

Hi Chantal!

Yes, I did have a colonoscopy once. It was when they first diagnosed me with the redundant colon. They tried and tried to make their way through the bowels but couldn't do it. I remember being put out for the procedure, but still feeling the instrument jabbing me inside my stomach. It was rather uncomfortable. Immediately after, because I had already done the prep work, they did the barium x-ray. They told me there was no way they could ever do the colonoscopy so I've done the barium's ever since. I know how scary it can be. I hope that all goes well with your procedure!

Best Wishes!

M-J.