PDA

View Full Version : FiberCon?

judytt7
11-12-2002, 06:48 PM
I bought FiberCon, rather than Metamucil -- and the box says to take it for two weeks max (I think that's the length of time -- I'd have to doublecheck). Anyhow, can FiberCon be safely taken longer? Does it do the same thing as Metamucil or similar products?

I'm actually quite interested in the possibility of using Colestid or Questran, as my cholesterol level has (finally!) exceeded 200 (although my HDLs are 83!!). So if I can take one thing for two problems, it would be great! (I'll be talking to my MD about that.)

Thanks for your help!

Katie G
11-13-2002, 06:12 AM
Hi, judy... (sorry I forgot the rest of your post name). Anyway, I like the Metamucil wafers the best for fiber intake. They taste good, and I eat 2 packages a day to boost my fiber intake by 12 grams. If I were you, I'd consider switching to a water-soluble fiber that you can take forever, rather than insoluble (Fibercon), which may be limited in how long you can use it. Soluble fiber is recommended daily for good bowel health, so you might want to switch back to Metamucil.

I'm currently taking Colestid for my IBS-D, with GREAT results! Along with fiber, calcium supplements, and acidophilus capsules. My doc wasn't that worried about me taking Colestid for IBS-D, even though my cholesterol is within normal range. I only take 2 Colestid each morning, which is actually a much lower dose than someone with high cholesterol would have to take. So hopefully, your doc won't look at Colestid only as a cholesterol controlling drug, but one that may help you with diarrhea predominant IBS. That is why you want to take it, right?

Take care,
Katie G

judytt7
11-13-2002, 06:40 AM
Are Metamucil wafers available at drugstores or at supermarkets? I wasn't able to find them when I bought the FiberCon (and I have my receipt, so back it goes!!).

A phone call to my doctor regarding Colestid is on my to-do list. <G> I'll also do a little checking on the web for more information.

Thanks SO MUCH for your prompt reply . . . and for sharing. BTW, I really like the fact that I can be notified by email that there is a message waiting.

Judy Madnick

judytt7
11-13-2002, 06:54 AM
P.S. I just realized something: I go back and forth between IBS-D and IBS-C. I probably should start with adding fiber to my diet and see if that works. Colestid can cause constipation. But then there's that acid . . . oh, well. One step at a time.

Judy

Katie G
11-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Hi again, Judy. You might want to hold off on Colestid if you have both IBS-D/C. It's been proven most effective for people who have D related to eating and/or if you have D now from gall bladder removal. One of the side effects is constipation, which can be really bad for someone who already is constipated. For me, every BM was watery/runny until Colestid, so constipation is not really a worry for me. You might want to try the water soluble fiber first; also consider adding a calcium supplement twice daily (which can also firm up your stools). Fiber plus calcium (get the calcium + minerals kind, not just calcium alone; I get the ripoff version of Caltrate + D in a purple/white bottle) may regulate you.

I was suffering explosive, urgent diarrhea until the Colestid, even though I was also taking calcium and Metamcil. The addition of Colestid was the only thing that helped me.

As far as finding the wafers, I can get them at the pharmacy or Walmart, K-Mart, Target, etc. Harder to find in the grocery store if it's not a major chain. But as I said, you might want to just try the fiber plus calcium first, and then if the D continues to be a problem, see your doc about Colestid. I would be concerned about its constipating effecs on you, if you already have bouts of C.

Check some internet sites related to bile salt diarrhea and/or Colestid for diarrhea, to see if you have the listed symptoms.

Good luck and keep me posted,
Katie G

judytt7
11-13-2002, 09:54 AM
I already take calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D -- lots of it -- for osteopenia. I'll look for the wafers and start with those. And I'm going to avoid concentrated tomato products for a while and see what happens. I know I need more fiber (don't we all? <G> ) and if acid has become a problem, well, I'll have to find a new type of food to love. <sigh>

Thanks again! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Judy

Ann S
11-13-2002, 12:08 PM
You can also buy psylllium husk in capsules at a health food store. Exact fiber ingredient of the Metamusil and much cheaper too. Ann

judytt7
11-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I'll have to check out the health-food store then.

Are "tablets" as effective as the gunk you drink? <G>

Judy