PDA

View Full Version : Uhm.. is this.. IBS?

Twist16
11-02-2002, 07:37 PM
I have been having these symptoms for about a year now.. and I was just wondering if this could be IBS.

I Have-
* a lump on the left side of my navel (Could be the descending colon) With a abnormal pressure inside.. (Kinda feels like I just want to rip it out cause it's not supposed to be there)Also there is a big pulse down in that area.
* Often heartburns
* occasional aches under my left rib, chest area
* Lots of gas
* Not going to the bathroom everyday, usually once every two days.

Also, I am not sure if this could be a symptom.. but from much research.. It makes sense. I noticed that I have a musty body odor problem, can't wear perfumes, bad breath.. etc. I have heard that bacteria can build up into the intestinal/colon area and its can spread throughout your body and cause an odor..

Do any of you know of a good colon cleanse that you can buy at a health food store?

What kinda of foods would you recommend staying away from besides coffee, and sugar?

How do you think I should deal with this besides going to a doctor?

You're help is much appreciated!

thx ~Twist :round:

------------------
"If you live the way you love, you'll love the way you live."

"If you set your mind on doing it, you can do it!"

Lindarella
11-03-2002, 06:24 AM
I don't know why you don't want to go to the doctor but you need to. People don't have lumps in their abdomen for no reason. It could be something very serious.....

Twist16
11-03-2002, 09:36 AM
I did go to the doctor, but I'm going to go again because I didn't think of it being IBS last time.

Oh.. and BTW, I'm 16.

Super Sarah
11-03-2002, 09:51 AM
A lump at the side of your belly button could mean that you have what is know as a umbilical hernia or you could possibly have a type of diverticula pouch that is caused by some of the cells of the stomach protruding into the small intestine.

The lump also may be neither of these things and could just be a sebaceous cyst. It could be a result of your constipation though and you need to sort that out with some Metamucil, by drinking more water and possibly adding prune juice. Also look at your diet to see what that is like and try to improve upon it. Cut out the junk food, caffeine and soda.

However, go see your doc and let him examine your belly to make sure. Also, it is normal to be able to see and feel a pulse in your belly area. The largest artery of your body that comes from the heart, the Aorta runs right through your belly being called the abdominal aorta when it runs through there. Don't worry about that.

Twist16
11-04-2002, 05:51 PM
The 'lump' isn't exactly a ball.. if you feel it its hard from my left rib and down. It also gets a little bigger down in the lower part of my stomache.

When I do go to the bathroom, its not always hard. I've only been really constipated once, and that was about a year ago. It's usually just soft, or on the verge of becoming consipated. Sometimes its feels like I'm letting out peanuts in it (Sorry.. this is kinda gross...) or has chunks of food in it. But, when I go to the bathroom, I don't go a whole lot.

Usually when I have the pressure in my stomache, I get the heartburn, and chest pain. The pain also goes into my back... so I'm pretty sure that they are all part of the same thing.

Super Sarah
11-06-2002, 03:36 AM
Sounds like you could have gastritis or GERD. You should also consider getting tested for H.Pylori if you have not already done so.

Any lump or swelling in your belly that is that large really needs to be seen by a doc. It could be serious.

Twist16
11-07-2002, 11:25 AM
I got a H.Pylori test and it came back negative...
She checked the 'lump' and said that its probably nothing and that I'm feeling it more because I'm thin..? But why is it so uncomfortable when I lay on my stomach? I can lay on something really soft, but if I lay on the carpet or something it just feels like a ball right there. I haven't lost weight or anything, and I haven't noticed this my whole life.. what is going on with me?

Yesterday, I ate a couple wheat thins, and my stomach just started acting up.. getting bubbly and I had flatulance and burping. It tends to get like this when I eat fattier foods.

Sometimes I noticed the pain on both my sides, under my ribs, on the left side of my chest, and my lower abdomin. I am currently not feeling anything, and I ate Kashi cereal this morning that is high in fiber and high in soy protein w/ Lactaid milk. Also, the cereal wasn't made of wheat, but of grains...like oats and rice. Is there a possibility that I'm allergic to wheat?

suzyshop1
11-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Your heartburn and pain under your rib that spreads to your back could be symptoms of Gerd.

------------------

Xanthic411
11-10-2002, 09:54 PM
ok.. it could be IBS, but i also have a feeling that it might be Crohn's or Colitis.. those 2 are more serious (I acutally have crohn's) but you never know,, becuase your symptoms are definaly NOT like a normal person, and the pains and the being skinny makes me think it might be crohn's.. How much doy ou weigh and how old are you?

-Madeline

Twist16
11-11-2002, 11:49 AM
I'm not super thin.. I'm around average... But I'm 16, 5'8" and 128 lbs.

Super Sarah
11-12-2002, 04:17 AM
If you already have food intolerances - I also have lactose intoelrance, then there is a strong possibility that you could have an intolerance ot wheat. Try cutting it out. I came back from France earlier this year with a very bad stomach and found that I had lots of food intolerances and having cut them out have found that my stomach is better.

Try cutting out wheat and seeing if your stomach is better. Also, are you taking the Metamucil and probiotics to help? If not, then try them. Metamucil is water soluble fiber and can be taken twice daily with lots of water. Acidophilus caps can be taken twice daily on an empty stomach and will help to rebalance the good bacteria in your gut. This should help cut out your gassy belly. Keep them in the fridge though and don't take with hot drinks as heat kills bacteria.

For some people it is uncomfortable for them to lie on their bellies and this is not abnormal, so don't worry too much about this.

Twist16
11-12-2002, 11:35 AM
This morning I had some acid come up my esophogus... but it wasn't too serious. I've heard that everyone usually gets this at least once or twice a month. There is a small possibilty that I have GERD.. but I don't feel like there's a 'lump' in my throat and the burning acidy taste in my mouth etc...

All I can tell you about this thing in my stomach.. is that it definitely does NOT feel normal. I used to be able to lay on my stomach all the time.. but now it just feel like I'm laying on top of something. I've actually felt a change in the last year...

Also another note.. For my heartburns and stomach problems Peptol Bismol and Tums have not been working at all.

[This message has been edited by Twist16 (edited 11-12-2002).]

Twist16
11-14-2002, 11:17 PM
Lately.. I've been trying to be a little bit healthier... I've been eating wheat.. and haven't really had any troubles. But today, I ate honey nut cheerios and my stomach acted up (w/ lactaid milk). Also, later in the day, I ate a couple cookies.. and my stomach started hurting again. Mostly under my left rib.. the pain comes and goes.. but when it comes, I feel like I'm being stabbed!

Also, my bowel movements have been fine.. I guess last time I just wasn't eating enough fiber. But, everytime I eat sugar.. my mouth gets the most horrible taste in the world... my stomach acts up.. and I just feel horrible.

I really wanna know whats going on with me! I'm tired of this and I just everything to go away so I can be happy and healthy. Its so frustrating!

Another note: This problem has also caused me to eat less because I'm afraid of getting stomach problem, or getting sick etc.

Super Sarah
11-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Try cutting out the sugar and seeing if your stomach is better for that. I have done this, as I have a bad stomach after sugar too.

I cannot eat too much fiber either due to food intolerances which include wheat, and dairy.

If you do have a problem with cereal, then it maynot be the wheat or milk but the sugar that is a problem. Do you have a problem with fruit at all? This has fructose in it.

Anyway, it is a process of elimination really, but if you don't want to do that why not go and get some allergy/intolerance tests done. I did this and I am glad I did in the long run, as I have just cut out these foods and feel a lot better for it too.

Rather than tums and pepto, why not try some Aloe Juice. This is very good for any stomach pains and stomach upset. Also live yogurt or Acidophilus caps.

Twist16
11-15-2002, 11:07 AM
I've been trying to cut sugar out of my diet.. I do feel a little better.. but I still get the pain.

I've had a day where I ate pretty much fruits and vegetables.. and I was fine.. But.. this morning I woke up with pain and I didn't eat anything! Could this all be non-food related? Of course, I did eat a tiny bit of a cookie before I went to my room, and a read before I went to sleep last night. But would it really stick around that long, and finally cause me problems in the morning?

I'm going to see if I can get another opinion from a different doctor..

Twist16
11-18-2002, 01:03 PM

[This message has been edited by Twist16 (edited 11-18-2002).]