PDA

View Full Version : IBS-C

mushroom1
10-21-2002, 12:18 PM
I have IBS-C. Can someone please tell me what helps this condition, aside from eating right and exercising.
Thank you very much.

Harry
10-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Sorry about your condition. I don't know what you have tried but for your Gastro tract to pass food you have to intake fiber---- 20 to 35 grams daily. That just the way our systems function.

Alot of people I know have no idea how much fiber they eat daily ---- basically you have to know how much and the different kinds. All meat including seafood and all dairy products contain NO fiber. Fiber is in fruits and veggies.

God Bless---Harry

mushroom1
10-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Thanks for responding, Harry. I do eat a lot of fiber...I am a strict vegetarian (I eat no meat or dairy) My stools are not hard or dry at all. I simply have no "urge" to go. However, after 2 or 3 days of not going, I feel terrible and my stomach makes disgusting noises. I began to use glycerine suppositories every day, about a year ago and they work pretty well, but I don't understand why I need them at all! I am 40/F. Any ideas??? Thanks a lot.

Harry
10-21-2002, 10:00 PM
Mushroom,
I think what is happening is you have what is called Lazy Bowel problems. It's usually caused by using too many laxatives that cause your colon muscles not to work properly. Even prolong use of suppositories can cause this because it is what is inducing perislaisis ---your colon muscle contractions.

As you may know constipation can be related to low thyroid harmones, diabetes, high levels of calcium, all types of medications, muscle disorders. If you have had these things checked out. Then as you may know I am a big believer in taking psyllium that is in Metamucil daily. It's a water absorbable fiber that is safe and will bulk up your stools more and cause your colon muscles to work better. I use it twice daily but I use the orange flavored sugar free type sold by Wal Mart ---Equate.

I think you should also make sure your intestial bacteria is in good balanced condition by take a probiotic supplement and eating a good brand of yogurt. Lack of enough friendly in your intestines can cause constipation.

Harry

Tamsin
10-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Harry,

What do you do if fruits and veggies give you gas? And regarding fiber supplements, what if your stools are too bulky already??

Thanks!

mushroom1
10-22-2002, 03:30 PM
My stools are not too bulky. When I became a vegetarian about 13 years ago, my stools gradually got softer and softer. Can they be too soft? Mine are generally like mud. (Sorry to gross you out)

Also, I may be addicted to glycerine suppositories now, but I never would have become addicted had I been able to go without them. I mean, after 4 days of not going, what should one do?

A doctor recently prescribed lactulose, to be taken 4 times a day. (I have painful spasms while having a b.m. and I guess the doc thought this would help)

I have spent several days feeling sick and using the toilet about 6 times a day. Without lactulose, I generally feel okay during the day, just having a b.m. is bad. (REAL BAD) So, I am giving up on the lactulose, as of now.

Stress does not seem to be a factor with my IBS. It is with me every day. When I was 20, my system was perfect. By the time I was 25, I was constipated on trips. It has gradually gotten worse, now I must always use something to go and even then, it does not all come out.

Where will I be 20 years from now? I am afraid to think about it!

If anyone has any ideas, I would be very greatful.
Thank you.

Super Sarah
10-23-2002, 04:12 AM
Do you think that you could have lactose intolerance? You know that lactulose contains lactose and it is funny that you say that your stomach has been better when you don't take it. It is a laxative after all.

I would suggest that you start Metamucil if you have not already. Also, keep to your good diet, plenty of water, at least 2 to 3 litres daily. Cut out caffeine, alcohol and soda and try cutting out dairy for a bit. If your stomach gets bloated, this may help.

Also, do you get gas and a bloated stomach? If so, you need to start taking Probiotics to re-balance the good bacteria in your gut. Sounds like it needs it.

If you want to clear your bowels out and start again, you could perhaps use a baking soda enema. This is natural and will help you to open your bowels initially and keep your insides working ok with the Metamucil and Probiotics.

mushroom1
10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Hi Super Sara, I am a vegan (I eat no meat or dairy)
I have not tried Probiotics. What are they and where do I get them?
I don't drink coffee or soda and only a glass of wine only occasionally. It does not seem to effect me negatively.
I eat a lot of salads, whole grains and tofu. The only food that I have noticed that makes it worse is beans and nuts in lg. doses. But, nothing seems to help, either. I appreciate everyones ideas very much.
Thank you all.

MLWC
10-31-2002, 05:37 AM
Hi everyone...
just a quick note...I thought that constipation had to do more with the consistency of the stool, not necessarily how often one "goes".

According to what you wrote above, your stool is very soft ("like mud"). Is this really constipation?

-MLWC

black_eyes
11-22-2002, 08:23 AM
constipation is to do with 'how often u go'. there has been times where i dont have the urge to go for a whole week. that is refered to as constipation. what else would u call it?

mushroom1
11-22-2002, 10:33 AM
For me - constipation is feeling like I need to go (feeling bloated etc.) Yet not being ABLE to go. However, my stool is never hard or dry.

And I do eat a great deal of fiber...YET when I started taking Equate brand natural fiber laxative, (as Harry recomended) I was helped a lot.

I almost didn't even try it, because I already eat so much fiber. But, I am glad that I did!

Angelene
12-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Hi--

I too have C-type and have the same problems as mushroom.

I've been using enemas for so long that sometimes (not every time, but I'd say at least twice a month) I have to use them to go. I do feel that they're a crutch, and that it's my "way out" when I can't go.

I'm also a strict vegetarian. Mushroom--my doc put me on Lactulose, too. I told him I was severely lactose intolerant and avoided milk protein (as I was vegan) and he still gave it to me, thinking it would help. All that junk did was give me more gas and more constipation. I stopped it within a week--I think it's a joke of a medication, really.

I do know that drinking water really does help in keeping things moving. I'm up to going about every other day, every two days now, which is a lot better than once every week or two weeks, how it used to be for me.

I did use citrocel and it worked for me for a little while, but it also made me bloated, and I discontinued using it.

I was thinking about acidolphus capsules; I've heard they help regulate the bacteria. Any info?

------------------
"Never give up, never surrender!"