PDA

View Full Version : calcium

gc52
04-11-2001, 01:35 PM
After going to the other ibs board and reading all of the success people have had from taking calcium, I decided to try it myself and it has worked wonders for me...now I know it probably isn't for everyone and if you have problems with constipation you would probably not want to take it...but for ibs-d it is wonderful. This is day 10 for me taking Caltrate Plus..twice a day. No side effects or anything so far....just wanted to share that with everyone....the lady who has the most info. on it Linda(LNAPE) has been taking it for 2 years with great results...anyway, wanted to share that with all of you cause I know how horrible it is to suffer with ibs.
Take care.....Gayle

Harry
04-13-2001, 08:31 AM
Hi Gayle,
I really am glad it's helping you. Thanks for sharing!!!
Do you take any magnesium or potassium? I'm asking because if you have had alot of diarrhea that washes your calcium away---you usually also need these minerals????

Thanks-----Harry

gc52
04-13-2001, 03:31 PM
Harry...thanks for your response..the Caltrate 600 plus with vitamin D..purple box..has vitamins and minerals including magnesium. I have been taking a multi vitamin and vitamin E...for quite some time also so I don't think I'm lacking in any of that.But I can't believe what a difference the calcium is making...oh, forgot to mention I am one of those people who had gallbladder removed also..but had the d problems even before but it got worse after the surgery. I keep thinking...can it be this easy? taking calcium which is something I need anyway since I don't really drink milk....well enough...I feel great for now and am enjoying it....take care..
Gayle

katysue211
04-20-2001, 04:56 PM
I just came here today and have been reading all the posts. I am glad to know we are not alone in our suffering IBS. I wanted to tell you guys how great the calcuim is working for me. I had read on another site about it and decided to give it a try. I am so happy it is working. The interesting thing about all this is that for several years my IBS seemed to have gone away. Then I started taking meds for reflux and the IBS got really bad. Well after reading all the stuff about calcium I started to think...... Before being treated for reflux I lived on Tums.......hummmm......calcium. So what the heck I decided to try the Caltrate and sure enough it is working. It is so great because all the meds my doctor tried for the IBS were not working for me. I hope more people will try it. :D

------------------
KATYSUE

GM3
04-29-2001, 10:24 AM
I have been taking Calcium for a few weeks now and my IBS-D has cleared up dramatically. Should I continue to take Metamucil or can I try stopping it?

Christopher74
05-16-2001, 03:45 AM
I read this today and heard this suggestion before. Since it can't hurt to take a supplement as safe as calcium I ran right to my store and bought a box of Caltrate Plus. I have taken one so far, but I will let you know how well it works in a couple days. I was wondering if people with "D" symptoms of IBS clear the "D" along with the gas and bloating using calcium supplements. Also why does a calcium supplement help most some people? What exactly happens?

gc52
05-16-2001, 08:23 AM
Chris..I have been taking the caltrate now for almost 2 months with great results. I take 2 a day like bottle says...I do not have any problems with gas or bloating....I'm not really sure why the calcium works...I think it has something to do with binding the excess bile that we who have the "d"form of ibs have. If you continue with gas or bloating maybe try eliminating foods you think may be causing it also. I have been trying to eat healthier eliminating foods high in fat and I know this has helped...along with drinking lots of water....hope this info. helps you along with the calcium..keep me informed.
Gayle

wenron
01-19-2003, 08:03 AM
When you say avoid foods high in fat, does this mean healthy fats such as almonds and olive oils, etc?

Sarah68
01-19-2003, 03:18 PM
IBS is not actually caused by excess bile in your intestines. This does happen following a GB removal however and can result in IBS.

Calcium works to help stop diarrhea, as it naturally helps the bowel to absorb back more water. If the bowel does this, your stools become firmer. Colestid is actually the drug that is taken for bile salt diarrhea following GB removal and this binds excess bile to stop diarrhea.

Also, cutting out fats in your diet means the unhealthy stuff, not olive oil and such, which are fats that your body actually needs.