PDA

View Full Version : HAVE Questions! :) -Having Mohs for Basal Cell Carcinoma

pghbachfan
01-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Please help

I have a Basal Cell Carcinoma the size of the eraser on a pencil on my nasolabial fold (it's actually not touching the crease, but it's about 1mm next to it). The BCC has been there for a little more than 3 years, (I know, I know...), and it started bleeding occasionally and crusting close to 3 years ago as well.

My dermatologist biopsied it, and it confirmed BCC. I went to a Mohs surgeon for a pre-surgical consultation, (it's pretty cool because he was actually taught by Frederick Mohs). I then met with my plastic surgeon who will do the closure and any necessary reconstruction. I feel very good about the plastic surgeon BUT I left my sheet of questions at home accidentally when I went to the Mohs surgeon, and although he answered most of them, I still have a few more.

-My BCC is the size of an eraser on a pencil. If anyone reading had one this size, how big was the initial cut? I guess what I am asking is what size are the margins for a BCC this size?

-Has anyone else here had a BCC in this location? (Just next to the nasolabial fold) - and if yes, what was your experience? (i.e., margin size, was your nose affected, etc.)

-Did anyone wait 3 years to have a BCC diagnosed before having Mohs? If so, what was the extent of your surgery? (i.e., how deep was your cancer, how many different times did they need to cut, were the initial margins large, etc.)

-I know BCCs all grow in different directions and at different rates. I am wondering if there is any correlation between the length of time the BCC appears and the depth of the cancer. In other words, because it's been there for 3+ years, what would be the average rate of growth downward/outward?

-Because what we see of BCCs are "the tip of the iceburg," do they typically grow outward or downward or both?

Thanks in advance for any input! Knowledge is power :)