PDA

View Full Version : Biopsy/question

berriepie
03-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Hi, just had a punch biopsy on a freckley-mole thing on my finger. Have a couple of questions for anyone who knows a little about this.

Firstly, are there specific medical signs that a doctor/derm will look for when assessing a mole? I mean, I doubt they simply learn the ABCD's at medical school? I remember reading something about "7 signs" including the words "globules, blue-grey veil, vessels, peppering" Anyone heard of this?

Secondly, is it normal for the biopsy area to itch? is this normal for a wound? :) thanks alot!

Oleander53
03-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Hello and sorry you had to go through the scare of a biopsy.

I think it depends on the Doctor's own personal experience with skin cancers in his patients. When my father used to attend the Melanoma clinic at the LB VA, they used to tell him " red, white, blue and black. Bigger than a pencil erasure. ( his melanoma's never fit the picture ) so go figure.

Over the years I was taught.....change in color, uneven color, new mole or freckle, irregular boarders......

There may be something to what you read. Blue grey veil sounds like the discription of my Squamous cell Carcinoma. More lavender than blue but 2 Doctors thought it was nothing and I had to push to get it off.

It is completely normal for any wound to itch while healing. Maybe others with more experience will share what they know.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. Oleander

berriepie
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
hi, thanks for the reply! its just that my doctor said it didn't look like anything he would worry about, and had no signs of what he would associate with melanoma.

the derm said it "didn't look very interesting." when i told my GP this he smiled and said they wouldn't say that if they thought it was something worth worrying about.

just got me thinking that what i interpret as warning signs, they seem not too worried.

ive read some people saying that waiting for results is the hardest part. i think im going with the "no news is good news" way of thinking :confused:

Oleander53
03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I am sure you will be fine but 2 Doctors told me my spot looked like nothing and it was Squamous Cell. Sooooo always trust your gut. If you think it is something then get it checked out. Be safe rather than sorry......

What made you get it biopsied?

Oleander

berriepie
03-09-2009, 02:58 PM
well i had a little freckle on my finger about 1.5mm big and never really noticed it, had it for a while, but around the beginning january i noticed it had gotten bigger, it was around 2mm now. i have really bad hypochondria so i couldnt shake the feeling something was wrong.

sooo i went to my GP and showed him, i had just been diagnosed with depression and i burst out in tears when i showed him (i had covered it with a plaster to stop myself looking at it) he said that depression can often show its self through health worries.

the dermatologist asked me about my health worries and said she would remove it to stop me losing sleep over it.

i dont know, i mean, im 19, no sunburn history or anything, no family history, live in a fairly rainy country, but i guess stranger things have happened. :(

Chele60
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I have become very familar with the ABCDE's of melanoma, but my dermatologist still confounds me with her knowledge! There are things that you, as a patient, can keep in mind, but as far as doctors? I'm not even sure.

I do know that about 16 years ago I had three moles that I was convinced fit the example of melanoma: large, uneven borders, dark in color, one was raised. When my doctor at the time looked at them, he said they were moles. I insisted they be removed, and he did so. Biopsy came back? They were just moles. Oh well.

Just over 2 years ago, I noticed a new freckle growing on left knee. It grew progressively darker, but still didn't really concern me. Why? It didn't fit any of the ABCD's of melanoma: perfectly round, crisp border, not that dark, not all that big. It was more of a curiosity at how quickly it developed. Then, suddenly it became elevated one day, and I decided to have my doctor remove it. She didn't think it was anything, either. Turned out, it was melanoma.

Today I tell people if something on your skin bothers, concerns, or worries you, have it checked out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having something biopsied, either. (Just remember, it's really not feasible to have every single mole biopsied!) Better to have something removed and have it be nothing, IMO.

As far as itching? Yes, it probably will a bit. Usually, anytime a wound heals, there is some itching involved. I wouldn't worry about that. And notification of biopsy return can take as long as 2 weeks (not sure why), so relax. I'm sure you will be fine!

berriepie
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
thanks alot for your reply :) its nice to have people to talk to about this.

its so hard to know whats normal and whats not, id love to have all my moles removed!

my derm said it could be up to a month before i get the results.

do you have a family history of skin cancer? and how old are you?