PDA

View Full Version : Anal canal melanoma

lizzieshearer
03-20-2009, 04:01 AM
I have recently been diagnosed with an anal canal melanoma. It is very rare and I am trying to reach anyone who has had any experience of this, wether a patient or a family member. At the present time there are 3 of us who are in contact with each other and would be happy to hear from anyone who is suffering from the same.

Oleander53
03-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Lizzie,

Sorry for what has brought you here but nice to meet you.

It is difficult to find information on skin cancers that appear where the sun doesn't shine. I do not know why there is not more education on this.

I have a strong family history of melanoma so I have studied it quite a bit. I myself have genital area Bowen's disease which can cause cancers such as melanomas. I also have a Vaginal (Vulvar) Squamous cell Carcinoma which I am going to be seen at MD Anderson for on 4/3. I am on constant watch for melanoma since my Dad had 6 and my brother one..

As you probably already know mucous membrane melanoma's move differently than topical skin ones...Do you know what stage it is? or the depth of it?

Melanoma's can appear in the esophagus and many places that people are not aware of.

Also I would like to private message you some information that may help.

Sincerely, Oleander

lizzieshearer
03-21-2009, 02:47 AM
They said stage IIb, invasive, ulcerated and over 2.3mm in thickness, I don't really understand what it all means but know one seems to know the answers in this case it is quite disturbing. I have had a wider local excision with clear margins, the initial operation was for piles, but after biopsy discovered it was a malignant melanoma. No treatment has been offered and there has been no lymph node biopsy. Now I feel like I'm just waiting around to get sick.

Oleander53
03-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Lizzie,

Please set up your private messaging here on Healthboards.......Let me send you some information to research. Not many know what to do for internal melanoma's or genital/anal area melanomas. But there are some treatments. Do you live US or elsewhere?

I am so sorry you are going through this. How terrible no one is talking to you about your treatment options....I know Interferon is one of them.

Has it been completely removed and are your margins clear? If you do not know if your margins are clear you need to ask and get a copy of your pathology report for your records and to show to a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Important to get a good clear margin around the melanoma. I am a huge fan of Essiac tea and Vit D 1000 to 2000 IU's a day for cancer prevention. Worth a try.
Also a natural diet as much as possible...much fruits and veggies.

Try really hard to stay calm and in a good state of mind. I know it is very very hard when you hear you have cancer especially Melanoma. You are probably reading terrible things on the internet about anal Melanomas.. But you must stay in a positive state of mind so you can make good decisions. Visulize how healthy and well you are at all times. Keep your immune system very well.

My Father had 6 melanomas..from age 58 to his last at age 93. I know he is an unusual case and the VA hospital admitted that to us but it shows you can live a long time with Melanoma. He was physically very healthy until the last 2 weeks of his life last year.

Has anyone done a PET scan on you yet? or CT PET?

Sincerely, Oleander

renko
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
My friend who is 67 years is having a PET scan today and the doctor says she has rectal melanoma. She is very scared. Can you E-mail me things that might help ease her fears. I will get the results from her and pray it hasn't spread. Thank you.

Chele60
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm surprised there was no lymph node biopsy completed, but outside of that, I don't believe there is anything more to do with stage II. Interferon is given when a melanoma patient is stage III (lymph nodes are involved), and I believe anal canal melanoma is different.

I know sometimes we think the doctors should be doing something more, but sometimes there isn't anything else to do except to get regular checks and try to get on with life. There is much more treatment involved when melanoma is staged at III or IV, than at I or II, as frustrating as that sounds.