PDA

View Full Version : Itchy mole

Ariaden
03-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a 21 year old female with a concern. Just recently I've noticed that I've been scratching a single area of my torso a lot. Today I looked at the area after subconsciously scratching away and realized it's a mole. It's an average brown-redish mole that's 3mm wide and 5mm long. It looks completely normal except the skin around it (extending about 2mm) is red and slightly inflamed. Normally I wouldn't be worried but it itches very badly.

I also have a mole above my pubic hair that honestly looks like melanoma (from pictures I've seen) It's 10mm in diameter and about 4mm wide. The outside edges aren't raised above the skin but the middle is. It's also very floppy. It hurts when I accidentally snag it on my pants or something else.

I'm actually very concerned about this. I do not have a history of skin cancer, or any of the sort. I am however one of the lightest skinned people I know, I'm covered in freckles, and when I was younger I spent a lot of time at the pool unprotected, resulting in blistering sunburns frequently throughout my childhood. I also have mild psoriasis (which I thought the itching was at first, hence the non-concern)

Any advice would be great. I plan to see a doctor, but I'd like some opinions first.

gardenandcats
03-26-2009, 07:23 PM
The best thing is having them checked out ASAP..

Oleander53
03-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Get into a Dermatologist and get it checked. Probably fine but get it checked out ASAP..

Let us know what they say.... get checked over...you can get problems moles and skin cancers in and around the genital area.

Oleander

Ariaden
03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I've never been to a dermatologist before. I don't have any insurance, and very little money. Will they be willing to work out a payment plan with me, or is it more like the dentist where you usually have to pay up front? I want to get checked asap but how can I if I can't afford it? :(

Oleander53
03-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Do you have a family Doctor who will take payments? You could start there or call a Dermatologist and see if they will take payments for an new patient office visit. Some Derms will do a free skin cancer screening.....Do you have someone like a parent that you can borrow the money from to see the Doctor?

I have twins your age. Please get checked. Oleander

Ariaden
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't have a family doctor or anything. No one to borrow money from. But whether the cost I'm still getting it done.

Anyone know how they will screen for cancer? I've never been exposed to this so I really have no idea what's in store.

Oleander53
03-27-2009, 07:05 AM
My father had many skin cancers.....my brother too and now I have one. :(

No one before my father had any in our families so it can spring up.

I went every 6 months because of my family history but now every 3 months because I actually have one.

What they usually do is look all over your skin with a light and magnifying glasses. I have to get undressed and cover up with a gown. The nurse should be in the room if you are undressed.

If they feel something should come off then they give you a little shot of novacaine/lidocaine to numb it and take a biopsy or remove it completely and send it to pathology for a reading to see what it is........ you may or may not have stitches. Make sure they send to Path for a reading.

Also when you go for your yearly pap and female exam make sure your Doctor looks at you down below real well...... that is where mine showed up :eek: Skin cancer where the sun don't shine. I grew up on the beach and had numerous sun burns and have been so worried about my outer skin and family history. I get one down below. Just be aware.....

Good luck.....Oleander

JONN22
12-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a 21 year old female with a concern. Just recently I've noticed that I've been scratching a single area of my torso a lot. Today I looked at the area after subconsciously scratching away and realized it's a mole. It's an average brown-redish mole that's 3mm wide and 5mm long. It looks completely normal except the skin around it (extending about 2mm) is red and slightly inflamed. Normally I wouldn't be worried but it itches very badly.

I also have a mole above my pubic hair that honestly looks like melanoma (from pictures I've seen) It's 10mm in diameter and about 4mm wide. The outside edges aren't raised above the skin but the middle is. It's also very floppy. It hurts when I accidentally snag it on my pants or something else.

I'm actually very concerned about this. I do not have a history of skin cancer, or any of the sort. I am however one of the lightest skinned people I know, I'm covered in freckles, and when I was younger I spent a lot of time at the pool unprotected, resulting in blistering sunburns frequently throughout my childhood. I also have mild psoriasis (which I thought the itching was at first, hence the non-concern)

Any advice would be great. I plan to see a doctor, but I'd like some opinions first.
Hi,

I have the same problem as you. I am 24 yrs old and I have recently discovered that a mole on my chest has grown in the past 2-3 months, it bled for the first time last week and it has then changed color and it's itchy. I am very concerned and like you, I have no insurance and very little money b/c I am in school and an unpaid intern. What have your doctors said about this? I am going to look for answers as soon as possible. I played tennis growing up and didn't protect myself from the sun as I should have. =( I hope you and I do not have anything serious to worry about.

Steffers2318
01-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I just wanted to add my experience. I had a flat, relatively symmetrical but large (bigger than a pencil eraser) mole spring up on my back about three years ago (age 21-22...can't remember exactly). I expressed to my derm that it worried me because of the size and that fact that I couldn't see it well--I had to use two mirrors and kind of twist to see it--but the derm wasn't concerned and wouldn't remove it.

Of course right after the initial examination of it, the mole began to itch on and off (especially in cold winter months). Eventually it got itchier to the point that I was driving my mom and others crazy asking her to scratch it all the time. My mom convinced me that I was just being a hypochondriac any time I expressed concern about it to her, though--"[the derm] already looked at it", "I have lots of those and they're nothing" etc. etc., so that I didn't ask the derm to look at it again even though it had been itchy and annoying for like 2 years! I also thought it had gotten slightly bigger and more raised. I had not noticed color changes, though, or bleeding.

Finally last week I had an annual appointment for other reasons and told the derm I couldn't take the itching anymore. She said the mole didn't look bad but removed it due to the itching. It turned out to be a benign mole with mildly dysplastic features (so, beginning to have some iffy changes).

I just wanted to give my story so that others know that itching does not always equal melanoma (which is pretty much all I found online--Itching=BAD!! CANCER!!). However, I also know that waiting for two years with the itching wasn't really a good idea...so, especially if your mole has become asymmetrical or started bleeding, don't follow my example and just get it checked out ;). That way you won't have to worry; and even moles with "warning signs" aren't always the "worst case scenario."